Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Comp from my LBS about 6 weeks ago. Between working 40-55hrs a week, school, and life as a father of 3 I have had time to ride this magnificent beast maybe 4 times. All on road. Nothing harsh at all. 5th ride, this Saturday night, on a smooth, flat, paved bike trail along the Virgin River in St. George UT last Saturday night, mid pedal-stroke, my chain explodes. So loud, so sudden, my wife was riding beside me on a Schwinn Cruiser with our 2 year old, in a WeeRide seat and almost crashed, the sound startled her that much.

I was kind of bummed, I have been riding since I was 15, ( ugh, 17 years ago... ) and I have NEVER broken a chain, but I didn't think too much of it. Having a great ride with the family, wasn't about to let a little broken chain interfere.

Long story short, took it to a shop in St. George, showed me that when the chain snapped apart, one end whipped out and mangled up my frame, and the other end mangled the rear derailleur. They wanted a bit of money for parts and labor, so I decided to call the LBS where I got the bike to see if they could take care of me. I was quickly told that I must have shifted improperly, chains just don't break for no reason. It's your fault, nothing we can do, Sorry.

So, a little more upset and disappointed. Little bit angry.

$3300 bike, Several hundred in upgrades, just got a set Roval Carbon rims from them, which were installed LAST WEEK. I picked the bike up Wednesday night and headed straight to Utah... First ride out and my chain breaks, but their 1st response; it's my fault.

Fine, thought I would at least try to see if SRAM might help me out, tried calling 3 times today while at work, couldn't get anyone on the line.

I was told by a biking friend to email SRAM, that they responded quickly and took great care of him...
I worked 14 hrs today, with a 50 minute commute each way. Have to be back up and driving back in 6hrs and 45mins. I'm sleep deprived,
all the usual stress of work, and home life, combined with the grumpiness of thinking about how I saved up, literally for months to buy a bike that costs more than the car I drive. A bike I barely have time to ride.

My 1st issue, but I'm instantly told by a shop that just worked on my bike, and the entire drive-train, 4 days prior, that all this is my fault and my problem.

Anyway, the above mentioned, combined with rage, might be impairing my reading ability, but on SRAMs website, I cannot for the life of me find a support email address. If anyone has a current one, I would be most grateful, thanks for letting me vent...

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Chains don't just snap in the conditions you describe. SRAM is very lenient with their warranty policies, so I don't know why the shop wouldn't at least explore that possibility for you -- especially considering that you are a valuable customer. Going into the shop where you bought the bike and speaking face to face with a manager would be the best COA.

Another option would be to pick up a new chain and DIY. It looks like it might be possible for you to straighten that derailleur cage out and continue to use it.

You can email [email protected]. Any issues will have to be addressed by a LBS, since SRAM does not deal directly with the end user.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Everything ncfisherman said.. plus you can try Specialized as it's part of their stock bike? Sram will take care of you.. but they don't like by passing the shop,.. but if you tell them the responses you've gotten from the shop they will at times talk directly with the customer. I got Sram to Warr a crankset do to me moving and none of the local shops wanted to deal wit hit do to me not purchasing it thru them.

Also, any shop that gives you those answers after selling you a bike at that price range needs a kick in the butt.. go to the shop and have a chat.. (no yelling, it gets you no where) chains do break, they do have issues during manufacturing. get a KMC chain as I've found them to be much better but that's a diff thing.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yep... chains do break. Not often but they do. The only chain I've broken was a SRAM. Side plate sheared and not while shifting. Mashing through soft snow on a fatbike. Luckily no bike damage or injury. I still use SRAM chains, btw. Considered it a fluke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chains don't just snap in the conditions you describe.
Exactly, this was my first ride after getting the Roval Rims installed, so they had to swap the rear cassette and re-adjust the rear derailleur and all that jazz, so for it to happen on my 1st ride, on a paved trail, going slowly with my wife and 3 kids, I'm sorry, but it seems more likely to me that it was something on the shops side. Then when I called, their instant response was it had to be my fault. I'm appy to work with a LBS, but I'm not going back to that one. Thanks for the email address and your help guys

·
Registered
327 Posts
Chain broke on my Devinci Troy last evening riding on pavement with my son . Sram chain . luckily no other damage . Took it to my LBS They apologized and got me fixed back up

·
Registered
366 Posts
had a similar thing happen with 2 X0 shifter units, both broke about a month apart. Distributor and SRAM wouldn't have a bar of it, or reply to emails, phone calls. Had been on Sram for 10 years and talked it up... now happily on shimano.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sram chain

The second picture looks like the chain was not assembled properly. Likely the shop cut and rejoined the chain rather than using the Sram quick link. If you look at the break, the pin is clearly not centered, but far out to the left side. The plate on the right side was probably not held at all.

Cheers. Hope they make it right for you.

·
GONE
27,385 Posts
I can't imagine how a chain could cause that much damage if you were going slow and easy. It seems extreme even if you were absolutely mashing it to the max. Sorry that this happened.

Check the chain length. Perhaps it was too short?

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The second picture looks like the chain was not assembled properly. Likely the shop cut and rejoined the chain rather than using the Sram quick link. If you look at the break, the pin is clearly not centered, but far out to the left side. The plate on the right side was probably not held at all.

It does appear that one side popped off first, imho the one that is still straight (it was probably not on the pin properly). And the other one being bent, looks like it held on till it was pulled hard enough that the chain started to pull side ways and that's why its bent. I really doubt if you road like an idiot you could break a well made chain. The only chain I ever broke was a kmc chain and I caught a rock with the pedal and even then the chain held together but the master link popped off. your master link is still intact and I believe it is "the weakest link". everything made has failures, its stupid to pretend other wise, sorry you have someone who wont fight for your warranty. if its any consolation, I don't think its your fault and they should apologize instead of blaming you, its sad really. good luck out there, and keep your chin up, its on them not you.

·
DFMBA.org
1,935 Posts

I think this is exactly what happened. Chains just don't give way UNLESS they have been broken at a link and the original pin replaced. Once a link is broken it should be replaced with an aftermarket quick-link. I've had great luck with KMC X10 chains and their quick link is easier than SRAM.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I think this is exactly what happened. Chains just don't give way UNLESS they have been broken at a link and the original pin replaced. Once a link is broken it should be replaced with an aftermarket quick-link. I've had great luck with KMC X10 chains and their quick link is easier than SRAM.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
But swapping a cassette and wheelset doesn't require breaking the chain. Maybe a defective pin or assembly issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
But swapping a cassette and wheelset doesn't require breaking the chain. Maybe a defective pin or assembly issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking, there was never any reason for the shop to break or re-size the chain. I suppose it could happen but that would be a pretty bonehead move for a shop wrench to push a pin out and reconnect the chain, especially right next door to the connecting link! The damage to the bike also seems a bit extreme considering the OP was just easily cruising with his wife and kids. weird.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yea, the pin in question is near the power link so logically it makes no sense to not use the power link. If we accept that logic then the only alternative is the chain was like that, defective. Although with a protruding link I would assume it never shifted well? It must have caught onto something is my guess. It seems to me that there are two points of failure, a defective chain and the shop for not catching it. Though this shop doesn't come across as very honorable with how they reacted. Man, the response from that shop irks me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.