Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
does anybody have any news in sram launching a new HammerSchmidt for 2010
would be great to have a lighter version (it would be really easy using some titanium)
and more XC adapted gears (22-38 / 24-40 f.ex.)

it would be the best fit with XX 10spd rear for what most bikers do (marathon+some AM+...)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Would be interesting, but the lack of ISCG tabs on many lighter frames may be an issue.

Their is still a long weight to go to make it XC/marathon light and it may be cost prohibitive in the near future (don't get me wrong, I think it will likely happen, but not in 2010.)

(I do use my HS on XC rides and love it, but have little concern for weight)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are lot of lightweight enduro bikes (like my ransom carbon LTD) that have ISCG and would be great with a ligther version
and I know of people that fitted one of those ISCG adapters on bikes that don't have it, and worked

just 200g lighter and more open gears (22-36) and you have it

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
the problem is...

...that the design itself is the problem, not so much the weight.
While I haven't ridden one, the complaint you see in all reviews is that the 'overdrive' - the larger gear driven by the planetary gears - is not efficient. Energy is lost in turning the bigger gear. While not an issue in gravity assisted riding, it is an issue for XC.

Add that to the weight and compatibility (XC frames w/o tabs)...don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yea, I don't think they will have one out by 2010, but I am also waiting for them to make a lighter version, or at least one with some of the bugs worked out. Just need to wait and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts