Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought a pair of SRAM 9.0 Halfpipe Shifters off of ebay from an actual bike shop. Well, I've just installed them, and I realized that they are not compatible with my XTR M960 rear derail... at least I think so. Can you guys verify this for me?

I have the Shimano XTR Rapid Rise M960 Long cage derail..
First thing I noticed is that for my granny gear (normally 1rst) is reading as 9th on the shifter... that was the first sign that something was wrong...
Then, when I get the chain and everything on the bike, I do some quick shifts, and notice that it is only cycling through 6 gears (according to the shifter) while it covers the complete distance from 1rst to 9th. Common sense leads me to believe that I wasn't sent a Shimano compatible shifter (EVEN though it was listed as that) and instead an ESP shifter.

I've been waiting months for this bike to be completed (the wheels just came in so I could install the cassette, chain, adjust, etc...), and now this is holding me up...

·
AndyFSR
85 Posts
Your right about the ESP

ickyickyptngzutboing said:
So I just recently bought a pair of SRAM 9.0 Halfpipe Shifters off of ebay from an actual bike shop. Well, I've just installed them, and I realized that they are not compatible with my XTR M960 rear derail... at least I think so. Can you guys verify this for me?

I have the Shimano XTR Rapid Rise M960 Long cage derail..
First thing I noticed is that for my granny gear (normally 1rst) is reading as 9th on the shifter... that was the first sign that something was wrong...
Then, when I get the chain and everything on the bike, I do some quick shifts, and notice that it is only cycling through 6 gears (according to the shifter) while it covers the complete distance from 1rst to 9th. Common sense leads me to believe that I wasn't sent a Shimano compatible shifter (EVEN though it was listed as that) and instead an ESP shifter.

I've been waiting months for this bike to be completed (the wheels just came in so I could install the cassette, chain, adjust, etc...), and now this is holding me up...
The 9.0 works with the SRAM derailluers (ESP), The SRAM ROCKET and ATTACK work with the Shimano stuff (Rear) both types will work the front.
Good luck and see if the shop can or will exchange them.
A3

....I go downhill like a falling safe...and climb like I am dragging one...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep, wrong ones

ESP shifters only work with SRAM rear derailuers because SRAM uses a 1:1 cable pull ratio where as Shimano uses a 1:2. If you want halfpipes, you'll need the rocket or attack models that were made for Shimano derailuers. Also, since you have a rapid-rise derailuer, remember that the numbers on the rear shifter will be backwards(meaning that when your in 9, you will read 1 on the shifter)...if that is important to you

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! Yea, after seeing how the shifter operated, I pretty much concluded it was an 1:1 ESP shifter--not what I needed. On my previous bike (which was stolen) I ran SRAM Rockets with an XTR M952 Derail, so I'm familiar with the set-up, I was just a little confused as to the current Half-Pipe selection--why did they discontinue the Shimano compatible versions?

Also I emailed SRAM, and they got back to me a few hours later and stated that any of the X.0, X.9, 9.0, 7.0, etc. are ESP only while the Rocket and Attack are Shimano compatible.

Thanks for the bit on the Rapid Rise--I didn't know that. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
All Half-Pipe's Discontinued

SRAM discontinued Half-Pipes all together a couple of years ago, so any you find will be older models. You can still buy the Rocket and Attack twist shifters, but only in the "shorty" versions.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Why Half-pipes discontinued ?

Hayduke1972 said:
SRAM discontinued Half-Pipes all together a couple of years ago, so any you find will be older models. You can still buy the Rocket and Attack twist shifters, but only in the "shorty" versions.
Hayduke, why did Sram discontinue the Half-pipes??? I was thinking of putting them on my next bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Simple

Cowboy-jeff said:
Hayduke, why did Sram discontinue the Half-pipes??? I was thinking of putting them on my next bike.
It's simple really, most people didn't like them. And now, with SRAM having an excellent trigger shifter line-up, its doubtful that they will spend much effort on twist shifters. But don't worry, half-pipe shifters are still available if you look hard enough. I might even have a set of ESP 9.0's sitting around myself...if your interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.