Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Air 9 RDO built and it came with the recommended PF30 to BSA adapter that ran a standard Shimano BB for Deore cranks. I just recently upgraded to SRAM X01 GXP cranks and got an SRAM Team GXP BB. When threading the GXP BB through the PF30 to BSA adapter the center cup wouldn't fit so I discarded it, and went on to thread both sides.

Is running the GXP BB without the center cup ok?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'd say it's not a big deal. The sleeve is there to keep crap that gets into the BB shell from contaminating the bearings. If your BB shell is closed that shouldn't be a problem. The differing diameters of the adapters should help keep stuff out of the bearings too.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
same thing been going up and down the drive train thread.. go to real world cycling and get a BB that is designed to adapt,.. not an adaptor and then a bb on top.. just asking for issues..
.. try real world cycling.
KCNC/RWC BB30 to GXP BB Adapter with Enduro ZERO Bearings

As was stated, the center is there to stop crap from getting inside.. the crap comes from the seat tube.. you get more down there than you'd expect as the tires are throwing it right at it.. not that it's going to kill it right away, but it will lower the time frame the bearings will last.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.