Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just switchet from a Shimano 11-42 10 spd to a SRAM Eagle GX mech + shifter and a NX cassette.

I love the range, the shifting is crisp. Overall it feels more solid than the Deore 10 speed it replaces.

There's one thing that's been plaguing most of my rides is the fact that the GX mech seems to collect more debris than the Shimano.

I'm riding the same trails and I have to stop at least one time each ride to remove debris (leaves, grass, tree branchs) that prevent the mech from functionning 100%.

I don't say it didn't happen with the Shimano but it happened maybe one ride out of five?

Is there something that would help in that area; making this drivetrain almost perfect?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's one of the (many) downsides I've discovered in comparison with my previous shimano drivetrains... the Eagle derailleurs hang out like a plow and collect pretty much anything and everything and drag it though the cage which in turn will eventually tweak something 4 microns which will make your super sensitive sram shifting go to crap. Fix, rinse, repeat.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,347 Posts
This is what you get with long cage derailleurs.

Move much beyond a cassette with 11-46 range, and you have to use one. It's part of the reason why I won't go beyond that on my own drivetrain and why I skipped Eagle. Shimano 11spd gives an 11-46 cassette option that I like (I actually like the spacing on the Sunrace 11-46 better, but Shimano derailleurs work with it natively). And Shimano 12spd gives a 10-45 option that I also like.

I ride in Pisgah. Trailside debris and brush reaching into the trail corridor is a fact of life. Running equipment that's MORE sensitive to that junk is something I prefer to avoid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You confirmed what I was thinking in the first place.

I'm probably going to transfer the Eagle on my fat bike for winter riding and install a 11-46 10 or 11spd on my trail bike.

Thanks Guys

·
1,040 Posts
A stick got jammed in my kid's GX eagle derailleur with less than 100 miles on the bike. The second one didn't last very long, either. We put an 11-speed Box derailleur on it for awhile, and just now put on an XT 12-speed. Hopefully that will be a bit more robust, but I agree that 12-speed and 50/51T is inherently fragile and pushing the limits for what a cable-actuated rear derailleur can do.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think on of the differences in SRAM vs Shiman too is that the SRAM is a bit further outside the frame than the the Shadow Shimano derailleurs are.

I've had a few bits of debris with the Shimano and SRAM. Doesn't seem to be noticeable with either one.

I continually wonder about the theory of the long derailleur cage catching stuff. I try to hit an obstacle or steer clear. If I run over it, it's more likely the debris will shoot outward more than upward. If I don't steer clear far enough I can see a cage hitting it but it seems one has to be in a serious debris field for this situation to happen.
I've been using the 12sp for 6 months, 400 miles or so and so far so good.
It can, and has happened but I personally haven't experienced the issue with the lower hanging cage enough to say it's a problem.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,347 Posts
It can, and has happened but I personally haven't experienced the issue with the lower hanging cage enough to say it's a problem.
Wheel size is going to be a relevant factor. The larger the wheel diameter, the more clearance you have with a long cage rear derailleur.

But what also matters is the nature of trail debris. In some places, trying to avoid riding over stuff is going to mean you're not riding. Meh. I ride in one of those sorts of places. I get crap bouncing off my bike ALL.THE.TIME. Rocks, sticks, branches on the side of the trail, etc. There's almost constantly something being kicked up.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yep, I get a lot of debris.

My favorite was the rock that hit my right foot, bounced off my chest, left leg and finally something on the bike (downtube perhaps).

Yet I don't seem to get derailleur banging things (too much). I've had a stick stuck before, as we all have. I've had weeds wrapped up around the jockey wheels.

I need to check my bikes for differences in clearance.

I watched a video once on a SRAM derailleur (maybe it as a non-shadow Shimano?) vs Shadow derailleur. The non-shadow protruded a couple MM further. Doesn't sound like much, but it is more in the line of fire, perhaps.

While lubing chain Monday night on the 12speed and last night on the 10speed 2x, I felt like the Shimano 2x cage was longer than the NX 12 speed. Cage aside, doesn't mean the body is similar size.

But yeah, I'll check my 29er 2x ground clearance against the 27.5+ 12 speed for comparison.
Look at my bike here in the office now, the Shimano does look far less bulky and is tucked in better than what I remember the NX looking like.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Move much beyond a cassette with 11-46 range, and you have to use one. It's part of the reason why I won't go beyond that on my own drivetrain and why I skipped Eagle. Shimano 11spd gives an 11-46 cassette option that I like (I actually like the spacing on the Sunrace 11-46 better, but Shimano derailleurs work with it natively). And Shimano 12spd gives a 10-45 option that I also like.
Alternatively, Box derailleurs are also natively 11spd 11-46t or 11-50t. And their cassettes are supposedly rebranded SunRace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
GX Eagle is def a debris magnet. I've ridden for 30 years and never had this many issues. I'm on 3rd derailleur and 2nd dropout since getting this bike in Jan 2018. I have 11spd shimano tranny on the shelf for conversion soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
~30 years on mountain bikes also and I don't recall a derailleur picking up trail junk like Eagle does. As soon as the NX Eagle on my new bike wears out, I'm looking at other options. This just happened on weekend. I had to loosen the jockey wheels to get it out.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

·
monster member
1,185 Posts
This thread has been bothering me for awhile...

When I first got my mtb, I pulled a derailleur into the spoke by pedalling through a stick. I felt like a tough guy like no stick was going to stop my pedalling, but of course the deralleur died.

I think I also bashed one on a rock at some point early in my hobby.

Afterwards, I did downhill racing, Four-cross, tons of xc/trail/free-ride and never had to replace a derailleur for like 15 years. You just learn to be sensitive to resistance in your chain and then stop pedalling IMMEDIATELY. You'll feel it when it happens so just stop and get the stick out. It's a fact of life because pedalling mtbs is all about being fairly light, so they don't build them to be able to crank through sticks in the derailleur.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,179 Posts
I am patiently waiting for my Eagle drivetrain to die, and then it's Shimano from here on in. Thankfully, running DT Swiss hubs makes swapping drivers a piece of cake.

My Eagle XO drivetrain is DEFINITELY the WORST drivetrain I have had over the course of dozens of bikes. For being a debris magnet and countless other reasons. A steaming pile of ****. In a plastic bag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.