Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my bike over to a 1x10 about two years ago, and loved it until December of this past year. I had an X9 rear derailleur with the 2.1 roller bearing clutch, and the clutch started "sticking, not allowing me to downshift...entirely. In order to up-shift from, say, fourth to fifth gear, I would have to shift from fourth to sixth or seventh and then backshift down to fifth. If in first gear, I have to shift to third or fourth and then back-shift to second, and so on.

Specs: NW front 32T Raceface chainring, X9 10-spd shifter, GX 10-spd rear derailleur, new rear SRAM 10-speed cassette, new SRAM chain, new cable and housing (third replacement as soon noted below), and new hanger just in case the old one was bent (it wasn't, and new one isn't).

Thinking it was just a faulty derailleur, and why not upgrade, I bought a GX rear 10-spd derailleur with the 2.1 clutch, put it on the bike with new cable and housing. Same problem, maybe even worse. So I did what any silly person would do, I spent money on yet another GX 10-spd derailleur with 2.1 clutch, new cable and new housing, thinking that I had two faulty ones. Same problem. Called my LBS and taking it in for them to look at and hopefully diagnose. They suggested it might be the shifter, but that has never given me a problem, though I am willing to entertain the thought.

Questions are:

1. Has anyone else had problems with the 2.1 roller bearing clutch being sticky?
2. If yes, how did you resolve it?
3. If not, then can some of your luck rub off on this post?

I have always been a SRAM guy, and don't want to consider Shimano unless absolutely necessary. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Cross-Posted to Arizona Forum

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the clutch and really doubt is has anything at all to do with the derailleur itself. Shifting hysteresis is almost always due to cable issues; routing or friction problems. Check that the parallelogram of the shifter moves freely by hand (against the spring force, of course). Check that the hanger is mounted correctly and not bent. Then check the derailleur is mounted properly on the hanger (B screw tab positioned properly against the hanger tab) and B screw is adjusted properly. Check the the routing to ensure the cable isn't wrapped around another or a section of housing is too short. Before attaching the cable to the RD, pull on it at the RD with one hand and actuate the shifter to verify the cable is moving freely. There is an outside chance there is a problem with the shifter which you might peruse after convincing yourself everything else is good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LR. Hadn't checked the B screw, I will do that. I also ordered a GX 10-spd shifter, keep everything consistent. I've changed the housing and cable 3x now so I'm pretty sure that's good to go. I appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
They suggested it might be the shifter, but that has never given me a problem, though I am willing to entertain the thought.
I also ordered a GX 10-spd shifter, keep everything consistent.
It sounds like it's moot since you ordered a shifter, but if you disconnect the cable from the derailleur, does the cable seem to move properly? Maybe hold the cable in your fingers up by the shifter and see how it moves as you press the buttons.

Otherwise, yes, check your derailleur hanger alignment with a tool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it's moot since you ordered a shifter, but if you disconnect the cable from the derailleur, does the cable seem to move properly? Maybe hold the cable in your fingers up by the shifter and see how it moves as you press the buttons.

Otherwise, yes, check your derailleur hanger alignment with a tool.
The cable action was good, but threw on the XO shifter anyway. Then I put on a new higher range cassette with the "chip" derailleur hanger extension, and shifts fine now. Thanks for your suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.