Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my bike over to a 1x10 about two years ago, and loved it until December of this past year. I had an X9 rear derailleur with the 2.1 roller bearing clutch, and the clutch started "sticking, not allowing me to downshift...entirely. In order to up-shift from, say, fourth to fifth gear, I would have to shift from fourth to sixth or seventh and then backshift down to fifth. If in first gear, I have to shift to third or fourth and then back-shift to second, and so on.

Specs: NW front 32T Raceface chainring, X9 10-spd shifter, GX 10-spd rear derailleur, new rear SRAM 10-speed cassette, new SRAM chain, new cable and housing (third replacement as soon noted below), and new hanger just in case the old one was bent (it wasn't, and new one isn't).

Thinking it was just a faulty derailleur, and why not upgrade, I bought a GX rear 10-spd derailleur with the 2.1 clutch, put it on the bike with new cable and housing. Same problem, maybe even worse. So I did what any silly person would do, I spent money on yet another GX 10-spd derailleur with 2.1 clutch, new cable and new housing, thinking that I had two faulty ones. Same problem. Called my LBS and taking it in for them to look at and hopefully diagnose. They suggested it might be the shifter, but that has never given me a problem, though I am willing to entertain the thought.

Questions are:

1. Has anyone else had problems with the 2.1 roller bearing clutch being sticky?
2. If yes, how did you resolve it?
3. If not, then can some of your luck rub off on this post?

I have always been a SRAM guy, and don't want to consider Shimano unless absolutely necessary. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Cross-Posted to 29-er Components thread

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a bunch of 10sp parts lying around if you find yourself in Flag.
Thanks Rockman. I figured it out. New chain, new higher range cassette, new XO shifter. Thanks for the offer. I need to get up to Flag soon. The inferno approaches down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.