Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow mtbers!
I got my 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro about six months ago. I have about 200 miles on it through various trail conditions.

Recently, my front SRAM Guide RS brake lever is not returning smoothly. I can still brake, and the calipers on the brake do engage. One thing I noticed was after braking hard (full squeeze), I hear my rotors rubbing the pads every so slightly. but, give it a few seconds, and the rubbing goes away. It seems like it's related to my lever not returning quickly to its original position so the brake pads aren't returning to the right position right away. I can still ride, but want this fixed.

I did some searching on the net and found that one of the components within the lever is rubbing, however, those are articles from 2016, and I also read somewhere the newer versions do not have this issue, so the fix for it may not apply with the newer version of the lever. I could be wrong.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks!

·
psycho cyclo addict
2,978 Posts
You should contact SRAM and ask if it may be eligible for warranty replacement... assuming they will talk to an "end user".

One of my friends experienced the same behavior with one of his brakes and a local bike shop was able to get him a replacement.

·
Clever Title
529 Posts
My two-yearish old Guides just started doing this on Sunday. Rear lever doesn't return and they still work but you lose almost all the modulation. Did some googling and reading here, rolled into my local shop that afternoon and the tech immediately knew what I was talking about. Said they'd need the bike for about a week, SRAM will send new levers, install and bleed is paid for. BOOM.

Edit: Just realized yours are pretty new. Not sure when the "new design" levers came out.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My two-yearish old Guides just started doing this on Sunday. Rear lever doesn't return and they still work but you lose almost all the modulation. Did some googling and reading here, rolled into my local shop that afternoon and the tech immediately knew what I was talking about. Said they'd need the bike for about a week, SRAM will send new levers, install and bleed is paid for. BOOM.

Edit: Just realized yours are pretty new. Not sure when the "new design" levers came out.
SRAM keep issuing fixes for this, but users here on MTBR keep reporting issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Could be just dirty caliper pistons. I've noticed mine are snappier after cleaning, and they're starting to slow down again after a few months of riding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
First thing to try is disconnect the hose from the caliper, to rule out sticky pistons. Obviously, a bleed will be needed after.

If the problem really comes from the levers, it's either swelling piston in the lever (replaced under warranty) or debris and lack or lube in the levers piston seals

I got this issue on my 2018 guides and regreasing the lever piston seals did the trick (with DOT compatible grease). Lever instantly going back fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, took my bike to the LBS (whom, btw, are awesome and very friendly) where they immediately knew the issue and said SRAM will cover it under warranty. They said all it will cost is a small processing fee. Golden!

Only bad thing is the downtime. Can't ride for at least a week as it takes time for the parts to arrive.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts