Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bottom bolt that attaches my SRAM Guide caliper to my fork is stripped. I could never get enough clearance with my hex extension bit coming at it straight when tightening it with my torque wrench, so the bit would slip and start stripping the bolt.

What is the replacement bolt? Should I order some bike specific part, or just head over to the hardware store?

Maybe I need a new extension bit that isn't wider than the part of the bit that goes into the bolt. I think it is a 5 mm head, and my extension bit is a couple/few wider. I think I recall having trouble getting straight at the bolt with a plain/long 5 mm wrench too though.

(It's mounted on a 2018 Pike RCT3 27.5)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
A bike shop will have a bunch of brake mounting bolts of various lengths sitting around. I would use an official item. Obvious now, use a bent allen key to tighten that bottom bolt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Get a set of these...may be able to get it out. The 'ball head' works great and allows for slight misalignment.
https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-end-allen-wrenches

If not, remove wheel so you can get at it and try vice grips around head. Last resort is to grind a slot in head and try a screwdriver or drill it out.

Regarding bolt size...take the other one with you to hardware store or bike shop and match it up. Make sure threads are correct!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have an L allen wrench and one with a ball head, but I am addicted to my torque wrench.

I also tend to strip that bolt with the ball end, probably because I lack skills.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
A ball end only engages a very short length of the socket in the bolt so can strip the socket before a non-ball allen wrench will. As far as torque, tighten the upper bolt with your torque wrench, put a bent allen on it, loosen it a 1/2 turn and then tighten to the same position. This will give you a feel for the proper torque which you can then apply by hand to the lower bolt. It's not that critical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.