Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't my first time bleeding brakes but I'm confused by this one. New bike with Sram G2 R brakes. Everything I'm seeing about bleeding them makes me think they should have the "bleeding edge" port. Where the bleeding edge port should be is a T10 torx bit instead of a rubber plug. When I take the bolt out, it leaks quite a bit of fluid. It doesn't appear there's the 4mm "socket" behind the torx bit and I wasn't able to get the bleeding edge tool to engage. It does take a "traditional" threaded adapter just like the leaver though. Do not all G2 brakes have the bleeding edge port?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a hard time deciphering whether it was the Guides or the G2s that had a generation without the bleeding edge tech. It looked like 2016 and earlier Guides didn't have it but it looked like the G2s were released 2018/2019? I could easily be wrong about this.

Either way, all of the examples I found of calipers without the bleeding edge tech had the bleed port up higher on the caliper and on the opposite side of the bleeding edge port. Mine is in the same spot as the bleeding edge port. My main concern was how much fluid leaked out when i attached/detached the syringe. I'm used to losing a drop or so, this seemed like a fairly significant amount although they felt ok after bleeding when riding around the driveway. Marginally better than the factory bleed (I'm coming from shimanos/maguras so I'm still getting used to the "modulation" and longer lever stroke).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are screenshots from the SRAM videos on 2016 and earlier and then bleeding edge comparing the bleed port locations. Mine matches the bleeding edge port location, but it's just a regular threaded connection.

2016 and earlier.
Glove Personal protective equipment Machine Electric blue Toy

Bleeding edge.

Arm Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Sleeve Gesture

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry go all Thread Necromancer here, but I just got a set of G2 R brakes with the same setup on a brand new bike. This has me scratching my head, so I wanted to update the thread in case someone else runs into this as well. The SRAM documentation talks about both a threaded and non-threaded bleeding edge port. The non-threaded port is the one you see in the videos. Page 28 of this document.

I have absolutely no idea why they call this "threaded bleeding edge" because you have to use the same style adapter as you do on the old brakes, and on the caliper. You DO NOT use the bleeding edge adapter. The bleeding edge adapter simply doesn't fit.

SRAM documentation and naming conventions suck ass, basically. It's like they are confusing on purpose.

·
Registered
5010 v4
7 Posts
I just did a brake bleed on my g2 R which came on a 2021 5010. Shocked to see it didn’t have bleeding edge. wtf? It has the bleeding edge threaded like @flgfish mentions in documentation. I had to use the same lever style thread and syringe and DOT fluid spills out. How does one use bleeding edge tool on this threaded port?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts