1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone running Sram G2 brakes yet?
look for Reviews before i purchase.
I have had Guides with the issues which i fixed myself by honing the barrel out and run faultless as i purchased the bike second hand.
Now i have XT's on my curent bike but i am a bit of a brake grabber on the trail and i find myself braking to early on sum corners due to the wondering bit point.
Just want to go back to something more consistant.
MAL

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have them on my Ibis Ripley V4 and
Mojo HD 4. Been a fan of the Guide Ultimates since they sorted out the sticky piston issue but these are a step up in power. They've been hassle-free so far with the same good modulation as the Guides.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Unfortunately there are still reports of MY2019 SRAM Guide brakes having the sticking piston issue in hotter weather.

Try one of the following, all of which get great reviews. If you spend a little time reading the threads on this forum you'll find something that suits your budget and preferences.
TRP
Magura
Formula
Hope
Hayes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them on my Ibis Ripley V4 and
Mojo HD 4. Been a fan of the Guide Ultimates since they sorted out the sticky piston issue but these are a step up in power. They've been hassle-free so far with the same good modulation as the Guides.
Thanks BmanInTheD, sounds like what im looking for.
I want to run a quad piston brake on my Pivot Mach 4SL i ordered frame only and am around 100KG (220lb) LBS should have the frame late this week.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unfortunately there are still reports of MY2019 SRAM Guide brakes having the sticking piston issue in hotter weather.

Try one of the following, all of which get great reviews. If you spend a little time reading the threads on this forum you'll find something that suits your budget and preferences.
TRP
Magura
Formula
Hope
Hayes
Tough call here. I had sworn off Guides... Guide Ultimate on one bike and I dealt with the anti-lock pulsing feeling in the front, and never could alleviate it. Then I bought another bike which came with Guide Ultimates and they were flawless and plenty powerful with just 180mm rotors.

Since I've gone through a couple sets of Magura that were faulty...got my refund and will never touch Magura again. Plus the pad-to-rotor clearance was a rear drag, no pun intended, compared to SRAM. I actually have Trickstuff Direttessma and Picollas on order, but I might cancel after hearing some reports of it taking months to get repairs done...to be determined. After Magura failed me, I've been on the Formula Cura 2-piston. Love them...light weight, powerful, and I literally cooked them on purpose and they didnt fade at all! But, again I'm dealing with minimal pad-to-rotor clearance and I'm constantly having to adjust and straighten rotors so I dont hear the rubbing.

All this brings me back to entertaining the idea SRAM G2. Would live to have good pad clearance, especially since I have an extra wheelset I'm throwing in the mix. I'd go code, but I've gram-counted every part on this bike and like the idea a sub 500gram brakeset... and if they actually have more power, I'm willing to give the G2 Ultimate a shot.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi RAG2,

I find the SRAM situation hugely frustrating.

When Guide's work well, they're awesome...but the "working well" is Russian roulette.

I'd only own them if I had another set of brakes, of a different brand, as back-up...and that includes taken them with me on a road trip...but that is such a pain. Guide's are expensive down here in Australia, and they've downgraded the RSC so it no longer has the bearing at the lever pivot point. FAIL.

If you have the spare cash, why not use the Trickstuff and if you need to send them back, then re-install your Cura's?

Have you considered Hope's. Someone here on MTBR recently posted that Hope's were the brand to have the lowest amount of "issues". The only thing that i can recall against them from all of my reading is that sometimes it's necessary to make sure that all 4 pistons are balanced...but then again, that's not exclusive to Hope, there's another thread here saying the same about Guides (and any brake for that matter)....

What was I saying about frustrating...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Currently using SRAM G2 RSC. So far no issues. But I prefer the lever feel of Shimano brakes. If I a have choice I will swap them out to Code RSC's or Shimano Saint's. Modulation is great but I need to pull the lever very hard to stop. Using 203 front and 180 rear. It seems that power is not present at the beginning of your lever pull.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've installed G2's Ultimates with 180 rotors and have ridden about 25km on them now.
They feel great but it's early days fingers crossed.
Feels so good to get back on a brake with consistant bit point, was sick of the XT's wandering bit point.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ yeah. My XTs are constantly wandering no matter what I do. They totally need the easily accessible reach adjust knob as I usually find myself needing to twiddle it a couple of times during a ride. My Sram brakes don't wander at all, and once I set the reach, I can forget it. Also, I much prefer the less abrupt onset of braking in sketchy situations with low traction or very steep descents.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oh, and I'm trying to decide if RSC or ultimate is the way to go. Certainly the 26 g of total weight front and rear does not justify the price difference. But how about deliver feel with the Bering versus bushing? Anybody felt both?

·
Registered
471 Posts
What I am wondering is do they actually have any more power then the original guides? I've come off the proposition now but I was contemplating G2 with 200 mm rotors versus codes with 180...resulting comparable weight by the time you add adapters and larger rotors.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have Levels on two bikes and the new Guide RE on my new bike. The Guide RE have noticeably more power. I didn't notice immediately, but riding both bikes on back to back days, it's clear the Guide RE are more powerful. I did have to bleed them three times to get all the air out, but since then, I'm very impressed with their performance and I love the tool free reach adjust. The Guide RE is basically the Code caliper with the Guide RS lever. If you're looking for more power, this is probably the way to go, or just go to the DH brakes and get the Code RSC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.