Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be of some interest to Sram weeinies…

Over the weekend, I took off an FSA compact front der and replaced it with a 90-100 gram Sram Force front der on my GF Supercaliber 29 FS bike. I was not sure if the Force was going to work as it takes a little different pull than the Shimano standard and does not work with road shifters other than Sram. Did not seem to find any other experiences with this on mtbr either. Since I use Sram 9.0 SL Twist Shifters I thought I’d be OK due to the multiple trim settings so I took a shot.

I am running a 24/36, two 2 by set up on the front and had a hard time getting the FSA just right. It was also difficult to adjust the stop screws due to the swingarm on the Scal. The angled stop screws of the Force made it much easier to set the top and bottom stops and make slight adjustments after everything was assembled. It also looks like there would be plenty of adjustment for use with triple rings. Would maybe work to a 39 or 40 tooth big ring on the Scal though due to the space limitations.

Anyway, with just a very little adjustment, the Force derailleur set up wonderfully with the twist shifter. Jumps between the two rings perfectly and follows the trim clicks as needed. Driveway ride test only so far but I am pretty sure it is going to work well. Bottom pull only though so if you are a Sram weenie like me and have a top pull mtb, you will have to continue with the much heavier x-gen.

Did not save much weight because the change was a road der with another but a lot over the stock LX mech. Bike is right at 27 lbs w/o computer and tool bag.

G

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i will be testing that setup

this weekend with x0 twisters though and a k-force light crank with 32x44. this crank
is supposed to be coming in a 2x9 version soon with 29x42/44 combos.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peabody said:
this weekend with x0 twisters though and a k-force light crank with 32x44. this crank
is supposed to be coming in a 2x9 version soon with 29x42/44 combos.
Hey PB, hope your conversion goes as easily as mine.

1. Set chain on small ring large cog.
2. I set the inner stop before I attached the cable.
3. I set the front shifter twisted up 1 click from all the way down. (Not sure why I thought this would be a good idea but it ended up working great.)
4. Pulled cable tight and attached to der.
5. Adjusted ouside stop.
6. Made a coupld of small quarter turn adjustments at the shfiter and stops and it was ready to go.

The der really looks good too.

G

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
too heavy...

at 88g for the braze-on derailleur it is too heavy anyway!

Ultegra weighs 81g
Dura Ace weighs 71g

pictured below the Force front braze-on derailleur (88g) and a DA with aluminium bolt (69g)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
well since

i am trying to rid my bike of shimano those aren't options, and also i am using a clamp
on der and i dont like how the braze on looks with one of those nasty aftermarket clamps.
i need a balance of light weight/looks, i have seen your bike and obviously you don't
care about the looks, just light weight:thumbsup: i will say yours doesn't look as bad as
that home grown horror kona of axis11's. are you still interested in seeing his 3rd leg?:D

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
well...

peabody said:
i am trying to rid my bike of shimano those aren't options, and also i am using a clamp
on der and i dont like how the braze on looks with one of those nasty aftermarket clamps.
i need a balance of light weight/looks, i have seen your bike and obviously you don't
care about the looks, just light weight:thumbsup: i will say yours doesn't look as bad as
that home grown horror kona of axis11's. are you still interested in seeing his 3rd leg?:D
what is it that you don't like?
shimano?

i think you refer to some older pics of my bike. pictured below with the Spinner Aeris i used in italy, but usually it's a black SID.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
not as bad now

since you have nice wheels, but still light weight over looks. yes i don't want shimano,
going for a mostly sram build if this fr der works. i will only need a casette then.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
where...

peabody said:
since you have nice wheels, but still light weight over looks. yes i don't want shimano,
going for a mostly sram build if this fr der works. i will only need a casette then.
where do you think light weight hurts the look?

i personally would NEVER put a SRAM derailleur on my bike. ok, the pictured braze-on derailleur is ok but the MTB-ones are butt ugly, bulky and real monsters regarding weight...to add weight just because you don't like shimano seems a bit odd to me. why not Campagnolo then which at least would be really light?

so you are going with an aluminium or Titanium cassette then, right? as SRAM cassettes are also heavyweights.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
thats why i am not

using the mtb one, ugly n heavy. force will be good if it works. i use the x0 rr der which
is about the same weight as xtr. you won't see me put a sram cassette on yet either
as they are tanks. i hear rumblings of an x0 level casette which hopefully will be like
the new sram red rd cassette. otherwise i am using xtr for the cassette. i thought about
the campy fr der but opted for sram just to keep the theme. remember nino it has to have
style, i dont like to mix match groupos.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
peabody said:
using the mtb one, ugly n heavy. force will be good if it works. i use the x0 rr der which
is about the same weight as xtr. you won't see me put a sram cassette on yet either
as they are tanks. i hear rumblings of an x0 level casette which hopefully will be like
the new sram red rd cassette. otherwise i am using xtr for the cassette. i thought about
the campy fr der but opted for sram just to keep the theme. remember nino it has to have
style, i dont like to mix match groupos.
well - i have shimano front and rear and cassette as well;)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
enough bickering...

ninokian can you get me some BMC jerseys and bibs? they aren't available here in the
states, i am looking for 2 jerseys and 2 bibs.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
no not phonak stuff...

the stuff off their site. the stuff they ship to the states has a bunch of sponsors
names on it, the stuff available in europe just says bmc, no othere sponsors names
on it.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nino said:
at 88g for the braze-on derailleur it is too heavy anyway!

Ultegra weighs 81g
Dura Ace weighs 71g

pictured below the Force front braze-on derailleur (88g) and a DA with aluminium bolt (69g)
My case is 2 fold.

1. I have liked Sram 1 to 1 products more than Shimano in usage although front derailluers probably don't have much performance difference. So sure, the lighter Shimano would have possibley been a better choice, But...
2. The swingarm on my bike made the angled stop adjustment screws very appealing and made it much easier for me to get adjusted well.
3. Add the collar for the dura ace and change a couple of alloy bolts on the Sram and we would be within about 15 grams anyway.
4. It ended up working perfectly in my case. Of course Shimano may have as well.

Ta'
G

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
thats it...

they have 2 outfits the passion(which is red) and the passion black(which is black).
lookin for 1 of each outfit. can you get it and i will pay you thru paypal and then ship
it on its way? of course i ride swiss bikes, will be getting the new elite01 carbon
when it becomes available.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
peabody said:
they have 2 outfits the passion(which is red) and the passion black(which is black).
lookin for 1 of each outfit. can you get it and i will pay you thru paypal and then ship
it on its way? of course i ride swiss bikes, will be getting the new elite01 carbon
sorry - as mentioned above i have no good connection to them.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
nino

nino said:
sorry - as mentioned above i have no good connection to them.
can't you be a bud and purchase them, throw a little markup on each piece and then
sell them to me? i know you will pay retail for them but i will pay a little over retail for them.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Pm...

peabody said:
can't you be a bud and purchase them, throw a little markup on each piece and then
sell them to me? i know you will pay retail for them but i will pay a little over retail for them.
:thumbsup:
PM me about sizes and colour choice...i'll try to get them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
peabody said:
You're a poser if you wear BMC Clothing and you aren't sponsored by them!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts