Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no wrench, that's for sure... figured that out last night when I unpacked the Flak Jacket package and their lame instructions. I am setting up Avid BB-7 brakes with SpeedDial 7 Levers and can't figure out all the garbage that came with the Flak Jacket Brake Cables. Anyone have any good pictures to show step by step how to install?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't have any photos handy, but this is an easy job: don't get discouraged.

The outer housing is pretty obvious. You can get great cuts with it by using a Dremel and the cutoff wheel. Use the side of the wheel to finish the cut.

The red plastic tubes are "external liners": you use them to cover what would be exposed cable between the stops and they slide over the long, thin ends of the cable ends that have those "needles" or "beaks" sticking off of them. Cut that with scissors.

The end caps with the needle/noodle/beaks on them are as above, and the "regular ones" are for the end that sits into your brake lever and the lever on the BB7.

When you're done, the system is an excellent one.

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EBasil said:
I don't have any photos handy, but this is an easy job: don't get discouraged.

The outer housing is pretty obvious. You can get great cuts with it by using a Dremel and the cutoff wheel. Use the side of the wheel to finish the cut.

The red plastic tubes are "external liners": you use them to cover what would be exposed cable between the stops and they slide over the long, thin ends of the cable ends that have those "needles" or "beaks" sticking off of them. Cut that with scissors.

The end caps with the needle/noodle/beaks on them are as above, and the "regular ones" are for the end that sits into your brake lever and the lever on the BB7.

When you're done, the system is an excellent one.
No dremel tool, any other suggestions?

Also, on the one end of the metal cable there is a round part that fits into the SpeedDial brake lever and on the other end is an oval cable cap..Am I to cut that endcap off to expose the narrow end of the cable to slide it through the red cover?
:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, you cut off the end of the cable that you don't need. Use cable cutters, wire cutters will work in a pinch but tend to squash the cable which makes it more likely to fray apart. I like to put a little bit of super glue on it at the spot I'm going to cut it to keep it from fraying when cut and as you push it through the housings. If it frays while you're threading it that's a major annoyance.
You can cut the housing with cable cutters (not wire cutters) but it tends to crush the ends. Having a bit of scrap cable in the end that's being cut will make this less of a problem but the end will still be a little uneven and you may have to push an awl (ice pick) into the cut end to open it up some.
The best tool I've used is a cut-off wheel in a dremel. Takes a steady hand and a bit of practice but will have a much squarer cut than you'll get with cable cutters. If the housing has a plastic liner you'll have to be careful to cut it slowly or in several steps or you'll melt the liner (this is big deal on derailleur housing, not as much on brake housing).
When cutting derailleur housing I like to bend the housing into the approximate shape it will be installed in. The final result is a nice square end where if you cut it for length then bend it into shape you'll usually have an angled end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.