Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have this 'strange' issue with my Sram Eagle X01 that ive installed about 6 months ago and was recently professionally checked and fine. When I clean my bike everything works flawlessly. But as I get about 50-100kms into riding its starts getting a skip in some rings. Usually 1st to 3rd. I clean the bike and its fine again. The bike is not that dirty (im meticulous usually). Its like it just needs to be really clean to work. Shifts fine, upper and lower limit fine etc. Just I begin to not be able to put power down in some rings after a bit of time. Just odd.

Anyone else experience simialr where their Eagle drivetrain needs to be spotless?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Its possible that the chain is riding up on top of the cassette teeth. I have X01 Eagle also and from time to time...especially when I get caught out and have to make a shift under load...my chain will ride up...clunk and settle back onto the cassette. This only happens in the 42T cog. Its one particular tooth on the 42T cog that lifts the chain onto the top of the cog.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its possible that the chain is riding up on top of the cassette teeth. I have X01 Eagle also and from time to time...especially when I get caught out and have to make a shift under load...my chain will ride up...clunk and settle back onto the cassette. This only happens in the 42T cog. Its one particular tooth on the 42T cog that lifts the chain onto the top of the cog.
Potentially. Of course in a bike stand nothing looks wrong and no riding up etc. For me the cog actually chanegs oddly. Yesterday was third. Time before the first. I think its haunted

·
Registered
Revel Rascal,Scott Spark Rc900 wc
40 Posts
I would check if your deraileur hanger is bent. That is te number 1 cause of poor shifting. I would also check your barrel adjuster is correctly set.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey all,

I have this 'strange' issue with my Sram Eagle X01 that ive installed about 6 months ago and was recently professionally checked and fine. When I clean my bike everything works flawlessly. But as I get about 50-100kms into riding its starts getting a skip in some rings. Usually 1st to 3rd. I clean the bike and its fine again. The bike is not that dirty (im meticulous usually). Its like it just needs to be really clean to work. Shifts fine, upper and lower limit fine etc. Just I begin to not be able to put power down in some rings after a bit of time. Just odd.

Anyone else experience simialr where their Eagle drivetrain needs to be spotless?
Is it a skip of the chain on cassette or something else? I had an issue like that with the hub skipping once in a while, worn out pawls in the freehub.
Chain better than 0.5?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah chain is near new and hub is actually new. Ill buy the Park Tool hanger tool to eliminate that issue. Oh and buy a spare hanger!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was having issues that were showing mostly in the larger cogs, to shift up one I had to shift up two and then back down, self shifting at times, really erratic **** that was driving me nuts.
The solution in my case was to put a new shift cable in and be sure it was routed carefully. Problems gone right away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem and discovered my thru-axle was loose. During my ride the wheel would shift side to side on the axle causing phantom shifting. I felt pretty silly when I figured it out, but then found out my buddy had the same thing happen so apparently it isn’t as obvious as I would have expected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem and discovered my thru-axle was loose. During my ride the wheel would shift side to side on the axle causing phantom shifting. I felt pretty silly when I figured it out, but then found out my buddy had the same thing happen so apparently it isn’t as obvious as I would have expected.
I had this happen to me a few rides ago

·
Resident Gear Head
611 Posts
This is a known issue. I had it happen on my GX Eagle drivetrain, a friends X01 drivetrain, and I've read about it on Pinkbike and MTBR. It is strange that yours seems to only happen when its "dirty" but that's probably just a coincidence. IMO the Eagle drivetrain has a design flaw in it that causes the chain to ride on top of the teeth of the largest cogs and then drop down and slam into place which I think is the skipping you're hearing. Because the cogs have a narrow/wide tooth profile eventually the chain becomes out of sync with those narrow/wide teeth causing the chain to ride on top of the cassette cog teeth only to fall/bang into place after a few crank rotations like what @bykemike is experiencing.

Check out this thread on Pinkbike Why do $800 Ealge drivetrains shift like SH&T - Pinkbike Forum. The OP of that thread spoke to Sram and a LBS. Sram mentioned the only remedy to this problem was to shift down a cog then back up a cog or to pedal backwards to get the chain to seat onto the cassette teeth. Pathetic.

I dealt with this myself and couldn't find a remedy. I replaced the chain, derailleur, derailleur hanger, cable, cable housing, made sure everything was torqued correctly, b limit screw set at sag using Srams b limit tool, made sure the chain and quicklink were on in the correct direction. Nothing would remedy it. I finally gave up and swapped out for a Shimano XT 12 speed drivetrain.

IMO this is classic Sram. Be the first to market with a new product and let the consumers do all the R&D. Then slowly make small but significant changes to the product to fix all the issues (ex the jockey wheel problem on early Eagle drivetrains https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-eagle-still-a-problem-with-rear-mech-jockey-wheels/)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks. This all seems very familiar. Damn. Yep shifting down and up is not great at all. Ive always used Shimano and its just bullet proof. Sure SRAM looks better but i dontr want to go over handlebars cos the chain skips. Ill still buy the hanger checker but it was checked only two weeks ago. Time to read that forum post...and cry...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have had this happen too. Added thru-axle to preride check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts