Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

861 - 880 of 931 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
so anyway, you basically said what again about the pricing @ 1399 vs this summer?
I am not sure if the full groups are officially discontinued, or perhaps if it's just that the resellers I use aren't stocking them any longer.

at any rate, I see only the $1000 (list) kits that I mentioned above. I do not see any more of the $1900 full groups offered at Jensen, Competitive Cyclist, Universal Cycles, and so on.

honestly the full group doesn't make sense and never did. people who already had eagle xx and were early adopters had a spare set of cranks, chain and cassette they didn't even need. I didn't have that problem because I moved from 11 speed to 12 when I got axs. :thumbsup:

for new builds, there's nothing stopping anyone from buying xx cranks and cassette. or gx, whatever they prefer for their budget. and you can do that when you are able to buy the shifter & RD separately of everything else.

·
Registered
229 Posts
honestly the full group doesn't make sense and never did.
mkay lol. makes total sense to me. Opinions may vary.

It is a nice group set all in one place at a reasonable price (if it's on sale and that is relatively speaking) for new builds.

I'm done with cable shifting for the foreseeable future on my builds. I tried to resist the wireless and built many 11 speed XTR bikes, but I drank the coolaid.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
mkay lol. makes total sense to me. Opinions may vary.

It is a nice group set all in one place at a reasonable price (if it's on sale and that is relatively speaking) for new builds.
well your $1399 price is pretty insane, so yeah, of course that's great. you've found a great deal on some aging stock someone had and is desperate to unload at/below cost. (other option is that it's grey market..)

what I meant is that when $1900 was the only option, it created a barrier to entry. now that we have the $1000 option more people can (and presumably will) buy it because you could pair it with sx cranks, gx chain, and gx cassette for a LOT less than $1900. or, obviously, add it to any existing 12-speed Eagle bike.

...actually I just put that into my cart on universalcycles because I was curious, and it's $1335. thereby emphasizing what a great deal you got on the xx1 kit. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I want to convert my AXS to a wide ratio 11 speed utilizing the new E13 Helix 11sp cassette. Although I've been burned by E13 products before, in spite of their excellent customer service. I find 12 speed gears too close together and never need 1st gear anyways. Furthermore, when I accidentally select 1st gear, it kills my momentum.
So to verify, 11 speed & 12 speed spacing is identical, so I can just adjust my low side limiter to prevent AXS from attempting to shift into my now nonexistent 1st gear on the Helix?
Please advise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My AXS was working fine and went dead. I then replaced & swapped my batteries, held down buttons, etc. But it is completely dead!
Any advise?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My AXS was working fine and went dead. I then replaced & swapped my batteries, held down buttons, etc. But it is completely dead!
Any advise?

Try deleting app. Reinstall and reconnect. Worked for mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Try deleting app. Reinstall and reconnect. Worked for mine

I spent 2-3 hours googling, searching docs, messing with it none of it worked.
But THAT worked. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I spent 2-3 hours googling, searching docs, messing with it none of it worked.
But THAT worked. Thanks so much!

I figured it over the summer. Spoke directly with SRAM and they were ready to warranty it. But I tried this and it worked. Been fine since.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I want to convert my AXS to a wide ratio 11 speed utilizing the new E13 Helix 11sp cassette. Although I've been burned by E13 products before, in spite of their excellent customer service. I find 12 speed gears too close together and never need 1st gear anyways. Furthermore, when I accidentally select 1st gear, it kills my momentum.
So to verify, 11 speed & 12 speed spacing is identical, so I can just adjust my low side limiter to prevent AXS from attempting to shift into my now nonexistent 1st gear on the Helix?
Please advise.

Remember to have read somewhere that this would be bad for the shift motor in the derailleur. Have not tried it myself though... so only hear-say.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Please advise.

Yes that will work just fine, as I documented earlier in this thread.

Insert Ryan Reynolds “but why?” gif

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yes that will work just fine, as I documented earlier in this thread.

Insert Ryan Reynolds “but why?” gif

So let's talk about that.

1) The extra gear on the 12 speed from an 11 speed is it the high gear (the small one) or the low gear (the big one)? If I threaded on a standard 11 speed cassette would I have additional space from 1st gear to the spokes, or conversely more space from the 11th gear to the chainstay?
2) You indicated that you made no changes at all to your AXS and swapped to 11 speed. I see no indication at all that AXS has the ability to adjust for this change. Were you adjusted correctly before? Maybe there are no ramps on your 11 speed 1st gear so even though AXS has tried to shift over to a non-existent even lower gear, with no ramps in the 1st gear to push the chain off maybe the chain just clings and can't shift?
3) Just to test my AXS 11 speed theory I adjusted my AXS derailleur low speed limit adjustment to prevent it from going in to the 1st gear on my 12 sp cassette. This worked fine EXCEPT that when I tried to begin upshifting again the AXS thought it was in a 12 sp 1st gear so it took 2 shifts for the derailleur to move from the now 2nd gear to 3rd gear, which in my future arrangement would result in 2 shifts to go from the 1st gear to the 2nd gear on my 11sp cassette . That's unacceptable.
4) So an idea a friend passed to me was to simply trim the AXS over to where it's natural stopping point was 1st gear on my 11sp cassette, and do the high speed limiter to prevent AXS from grabbing the very highest gear. The reasoning is simple: I hit 1st/ 2nd gear most rides a few times so the double AXS shift would be cumbersome on the low end. However on the high end I shift into the very top gear only a couple of times per year so the double shift required on that end wouldn't present an issue and is unlikely to occur at all as I'm unlikely to be looking for an even higher gear.

As to the question as to why an 11sp: I run 30T front for the high AS that it gives my bikes. I currently run a Leonardi 9-48 cassette and I find the 1st gear (the 48t) too low to climb anything at all. Whenever I accidentally grab the 1st gear it often results in an unsuccessful technical climb due to, too low of a bike speed. Furthermore I very often have to upshift 2x immediately in a row. I'll upshift, make 2-3 pedal rotations, and have to upshift again. The theory is that with the Helix 9-46 I would maintain all of the gear range I need and with less shifts overall on a ride. Also saving 45 grams on the rear cassette starts to matter when one considers that this is unsprung weight.

Lastly, I'd never purchase a cassette with more than 1 Aluminum cog, been burned on that before. The Helix 11 speed only gets 1 Al cog where-as the 12 speed version gets 2 Al cogs.

Yes, It' incremental improvement, but improvement none-the-less.

This would all be easier if SRAM would just release an 11 speed program available on the app.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
OK perhaps I shouldn't have asked ;)

Yes as documented, the 12th gear is an addition inwards to the spokes, the low gear, the big one. No spacing differences.

I myself don't like the connection interface for e.13; to use a technical term I think it's janky, but to each their own. I do enjoy the fact that you can keep old 11-speed cassettes for multiple wheelsets if you want to.

So let's talk about that.

1) The extra gear on the 12 speed from an 11 speed is it the high gear (the small one) or the low gear (the big one)? If I threaded on a standard 11 speed cassette would I have additional space from 1st gear to the spokes, or conversely more space from the 11th gear to the chainstay?
2) You indicated that you made no changes at all to your AXS and swapped to 11 speed. I see no indication at all that AXS has the ability to adjust for this change. Were you adjusted correctly before? Maybe there are no ramps on your 11 speed 1st gear so even though AXS has tried to shift over to a non-existent even lower gear, with no ramps in the 1st gear to push the chain off maybe the chain just clings and can't shift?
3) Just to test my AXS 11 speed theory I adjusted my AXS derailleur low speed limit adjustment to prevent it from going in to the 1st gear on my 12 sp cassette. This worked fine EXCEPT that when I tried to begin upshifting again the AXS thought it was in a 12 sp 1st gear so it took 2 shifts for the derailleur to move from the now 2nd gear to 3rd gear, which in my future arrangement would result in 2 shifts to go from the 1st gear to the 2nd gear on my 11sp cassette . That's unacceptable.
4) So an idea a friend passed to me was to simply trim the AXS over to where it's natural stopping point was 1st gear on my 11sp cassette, and do the high speed limiter to prevent AXS from grabbing the very highest gear. The reasoning is simple: I hit 1st/ 2nd gear most rides a few times so the double AXS shift would be cumbersome on the low end. However on the high end I shift into the very top gear only a couple of times per year so the double shift required on that end wouldn't present an issue and is unlikely to occur at all as I'm unlikely to be looking for an even higher gear.

As to the question as to why an 11sp: I run 30T front for the high AS that it gives my bikes. I currently run a Leonardi 9-48 cassette and I find the 1st gear (the 48t) too low to climb anything at all. Whenever I accidentally grab the 1st gear it often results in an unsuccessful technical climb due to, too low of a bike speed. Furthermore I very often have to upshift 2x immediately in a row. I'll upshift, make 2-3 pedal rotations, and have to upshift again. The theory is that with the Helix 9-46 I would maintain all of the gear range I need and with less shifts overall on a ride. Also saving 45 grams on the rear cassette starts to matter when one considers that this is unsprung weight.

Lastly, I'd never purchase a cassette with more than 1 Aluminum cog, been burned on that before. The Helix 11 speed only gets 1 Al cog where-as the 12 speed version gets 2 Al cogs.

Yes, It' incremental improvement, but improvement none-the-less.

This would all be easier if SRAM would just release an 11 speed program available on the app.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thinking of buying a AXS dropper for my new bike. I carry an extra battery in my pack so that decreases the difference in weight between a Bike Yoke. Anyone have any issues with theirs or regrets or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thinking of buying a AXS dropper for my new bike. I carry an extra battery in my pack so that decreases the difference in weight between a Bike Yoke. Anyone have any issues with theirs or regrets or thoughts?

No Ragrets! Seriously it's a great post. Adds about a pound to the bike over a lightweight rigid, but if you choose to swap between for XC racing, it's the only option. I started to get worried about its reliability but turns out I'd overtightened the seatpost clamp bolt. After I'd loosened it the post continued working flawlessly.

Love the option to swap batteries between derailleur and post too. Besides a backup in the field (which I've needed once due to forgetting) I cycle between them weekly to minimize the charging of both batteries: swap post battery to derailleur, charge derailleur battery, put on post.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Experts: new longer CS bike but with my entire old drivetrain including the chain, is this derailleur too stretched forward while in 1st gear? Seems to shift fine.
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Experts: new longer CS bike but with my entire old drivetrain including the chain, is this derailleur too stretched forward while in 1st gear? Seems to shift fine.
Thanks

Let all the air out of your shock, try to compress the suspension all the way, and you'll find out.

·
E-Moderator
841 Posts
Just wondering if any of you AXS owners are using a Shimano 12 speed cassette and chain?
Yes, and it works incredible! But I can’t compare it to SRAM shifting. When I got my AXS shifting, I went straight to Shimano 12sp. Cassette and chain. XT 51/10 1st and now I’m on XTR 45/1, again perfect fast shifts. I decided to go this route based off this: A Mismatch Made in Heaven: XTR/AXS | BIKE Magazine

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, and it works incredible! But I can’t compare it to SRAM shifting. When I got my AXS shifting, I went straight to Shimano 12sp. Cassette and chain. XT 51/10 1st and now I’m on XTR 45/1, again perfect fast shifts. I decided to go this route based off this: A Mismatch Made in Heaven: XTR/AXS | BIKE Magazine
Great to know. But some of the comments state that the narrow wide of the jockey wheels in the derailer don’t play nice with the shimano 12 speed chain?

861 - 880 of 931 Posts