Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 931 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It seems to me like Ultegra DI2 has been a lot more popular than XT. I'm not sure if that's true, just my impression. I think the same will go for etap and AXS. But Alex Nutt posted this on the MTB Tandems facebook group, and it made me stop and think about that. For a MTB tandem it's great. Especially if it has couplers.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
It seems to me like Ultegra DI2 has been a lot more popular than XT. I'm not sure if that's true, just my impression. I think the same will go for etap and AXS. But Alex Nutt posted this on the MTB Tandems facebook group, and it made me stop and think about that. For a MTB tandem it's great. Especially if it has couplers.
The reason is that XT 11 speeds never got the effective ratios of sram and they have been late on 12speeds. For road use the cassette ranges and front derailuer usage do not seperate sram and shimano as much.

The best thing about wireless is the much cleaner set-up for both dropper and shifting. The long term response will be based on reliability/durability.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It looks great and would be fantastic on a new build. It would be nice though if they had a package that also included a Quarq PM, as having to buy that on top makes for a really expensive groupset.

Hopefully it won't be long before the shifter and derailleur are available separately.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Wonder how it handles multiple quick shifts in a row? I've always been a bit rough with my drivetrain, even more so thanks to 1x and the need to often rapidly move up/down the cassette, and that's my main reason for sticking with Shimano 11sp at the moment. I'm not sure I'd be happy with this set up if I can't grab a "thumbfull" of gears when I hit a steep pinch.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Wonder how it handles multiple quick shifts in a row? I've always been a bit rough with my drivetrain, even more so thanks to 1x and the need to often rapidly move up/down the cassette, and that's my main reason for sticking with Shimano 11sp at the moment. I'm not sure I'd be happy with this set up if I can't grab a "thumbfull" of gears when I hit a steep pinch.
I can hammer through regular eagle as quick as my finger will work the trigger... I imagine this is no different. From what I hear from a local tester it’s pretty sick!

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shifting threw the whole cassette or just a couple steps with 1 push is programmable.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Lol...the price for the AXS shifter, derailleur and charger is almost the same at the eTap for road bikes. You get an extra shifter and front derailleur for less!

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if you have an eagle cassette already. Than its just the shifter/controller and derailluer? Doesn’t matter what crankset you have. Is this correct?

Here is a thought. Think a sunrace 12 speed cassette would work ? It worked on my eagle drivetrain.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if you have an eagle cassette already. Than its just the shifter/controller and derailluer? Doesn’t matter what crankset you have. Is this correct?

Here is a thought. Think a sunrace 12 speed cassette would work ? It worked on my eagle drivetrain.
Yep shifter and derailleur. No experience with sunrace. Now we wait for 3 months or more for the separate parts.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,528 Posts
Yawn

None of this will make any of you a better or faster rider. But it sure will make your wallet lighter. Not to say how you should spend your money, but why do you even care?

Extremely expensive (expected), guaranteed to fail on the first day of your epic Moab trip (good luck finding spare parts at a LBS), etc.

I know some people are always going to be excited about new tech, but really where's the benefit? (go ahead, tell me how it weighs 35 grams less. Then I'll remind you that it works on a battery)

I'm holding out for the 14 speed version.

Reactions: Legbacon
1 - 20 of 931 Posts