Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built up a cyclocross bike with SRAM Force doubletap shifters/brake levers. Compared to my older Shimano levers, there is a very abrupt edge at the beginning of the lever where it meets the bar. It is especially bad on the outer side of the lever, where the alternative shifter housing routing is. It basically jams into my palm and makes my hoods un-ridable.

So far I've played around with many different hood positions to try to alleviate the problem. I've also tried Ritchey pro bars, Salsa Bell Lap bars, FSA gossamer bars and the more modern FSA Wing compact bar, all of which still feel pretty crappy in the hoods. I've used extra bar-tape around the problem area to try and smooth it out, but its still very noticeable when riding. My Perl Izumi padded gloves help a bit, but the bulky gel padding starts hurting in other places. Routing the shifter cable/housing on the outside of the lever makes it especially bad, I don't even know why anyone would want to route cable housing right into their palm./

My last resort is to take a Dremel to the outside of the lever and try and smooth it out, but this will probably void my warranty, and if it doesn't work, then theres no going back.

Anyone out there notice this? Any solutions?

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,549 Posts
It took me just a couple weeks to get used to the double-tap SRAM getup, transitioning from the “normal” Shimano setup. More than 8,000 miles later the riding was still just fine. Eventually you will get used to the “new/improved/better/these-aren’t-the-droids-you’re-looking-for” SRAM setup. If anything, I found the “on the hoods” position of the SRAM setup to be more comfortable than the Shimano (Ultegra, in this case) setup.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leopold Porkstacker said:
If anything, I found the “on the hoods” position of the SRAM setup to be more comfortable than the Shimano (Ultegra, in this case) setup.
Then you clearly didn't experience the same issue I did.

I hate having to register for another forum, but i guess i have to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts