Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new ride out yesterday and had a simple fall. The rear Sram X-9 derailleur bent inwards and bent the hanger. I always had Shimano before and never had this occur on bad falls never mind a small one. freak accident? I love the way the bike shifts with Sram, but I don't want a system that fails every time the bike falls over.......again the fall was very small and find it hard to accept it bent so much for a minor fall.

My question is, are Sram derailleurs known for bending so easy? Are there any better quality hangers available that will not bend as easy. I know the hanger is suppose to bend or break, but the fall was very light and find this to be a poor design.

My bike is a 2009 HiFi 29er Deluxe and other then that issue I'm blown away by this bike. Thanks for any help.

Peace, BIGSIG

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I think you're overreacting. Any derailleur can get bent in a minor fall. It just takes stuff you're leaving out, like how the derailleur hit something that happened to be higher than the derailleur.

I had a 2004, the supposedly bad one of the x9's, as soon as it came out. I finally decommissioned it and threw it out in April. Took many impacts to the knuckle, the pulleys were worn to nothing, had play and still shifted great. I even stripped the hole the B screw went in, so I directly threaded a bigger bolt into it and that lasted for over a year until the thing was thrown out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe so, maybe not, been riding off road bicycles for 10 years and crashed plenty of times and never bent a derailleur so easy. That's why I wrote "freak accident?" I'm hoping that's all it was. I love the way the bike shifts. I'm not bashing Sram just want some feedback on other riders experience with the derailleur. Your experience was excellent and hoping that's the general feedback. Thanks for the reply.....

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
So again, which PART of the derailleur bent

Entire derailleurs do not bend from simple falls. Did a specific part bend? Have you put the derailleur on a strait hanger to confirm what if anything is bent?

Without an accurate description, this comes across as nothing more than a SRAM hater post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
come on now, I'm not bashing Sram at all! The whole cage bent into the wheel from a very low fall. Maybe the angle the bike fell caused the cage to bend more then it should, or I just have bad luck. My reason for the post is very simple. Is this design more likely to bend then other types. Simple yes or no. If no I can live with that......I just had a freak problem. I like this shifting system way better then my old shifters. Please understand I'm NOT STARTING A HATE WAR ON SRAM!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
OK, well since it took three times to answer a simple question...it certainly came across as a bogus claim

The answer is no, the cage is not suposed to and in my 12 years of running SRAM rear derailleurs (which I prefer) in addition to Shimano and being a bicycle mechanic for 8 years, I have not come across rear derailleur cages that bend from a "simple fall". I've seen them bent, but there is usually either more damage to the bike or a stick is involved. So I'm with J.C. in thinking that your fall must have been more substantial than you think.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you get the tool, or take your bike to an LBS, you can get the hangar straightened. Once the hangar is good bend the RD until its straight. If you screw up and the RD and it really breaks you probably would have had to replace it anyway; and at least the hangar will be straight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly. So here it goes again

Bike fell over at a snails pace speed. NO BIG IMPACT AT ALL NO BS

picked bike up and found the rear cage bent into the wheel (no sign of rocks or a stick in the cage)

also noticed hanger is slightly bent

first thing I'm saying to myself is W.T.F. I did not fall that bad for this kind of damage.

So I think mtnbiker72 is correct in saying a stick got caught in the cage and caused me toe fall and when I fell it twisted the derailleur. The stick must have fallen out when the bike hit the ground. That would make complete sense.

I was not looking for an argument here or to say Sram is a bad product. It's a new bike for me with a new shifting system. I love the system, just want to understand what went wrong.

What's a "JRA" ?

Sorry if I pissed you off...........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.