Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Learning to jump
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,, I think I screwed up. I recently mounted new Code R's on my bike and noticed that my brakes were getting 'squishy' after the first few rides. Re-bled and while testing the 'firmness' of my brake, I noticed oil leaking out of the lever/hose connection. I tightened the 8mm bolt that holds the cable in to the lever. Still leaking with a solid squeeze. Tighten again, still leaking. I tightened it pretty hard. The effort was quite high, but it could always go more without hitting a stop. Still leaking after only a few mm of thread exposed. I unscrewed the bolt and tried to remove the hose, but the olive was stuck in the lever. I tried tugging and jiggling, but finally, the thin part of the barb snap at the hose-end/barb intersection.:madman:

Anyone know of w trick to remove the barb-head and olive?

There is a very small opening in the exposed barb section (maybe 1mm), but not sure if this oule be useful. Perhaps heating the lever? I think the lever body is aluminum and the barb must be steel so the aluminum should expand faster.

Should I just order a new brake?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
My buddy had a similar issue but he tore off his hose in a crash. We used a drill bit, mounted in a pin vise, to hollow out the barb. It took a bit of effort not to scratch the levers sealing seat (where the olive pushes against) but we managed to pretty much hollow out the barb & hose.

·
Learning to jump
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally managed to remove the broken barb and Olive.

I used a dremel tool with a 2mm bit to drill out the barb. Next step was to free the Olive. I used a sheet metal screw, pliers and a hammer to tap it out. This took many repetitions before it succeeded.

It was obviously kanted, which caused the leaking. Over tightening has probably screwed up the sealing surface in the lever housing, but I will rebuild it anyway. It’s worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts