Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recent experience with SRAM's PC 991 series of chains? I heard they had a history of breaking, but that they have really improved over the last couple of years and are now quite good chains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I'm running a 991 hollow pin currently. I have one season on it. I've had no problems with the chain. I'm probably as much of a ham handed shifter as the next guy. I typically shift under heavy load (I know, anticipate the terrain and shift before you need to) and it's still in one piece.

There are two schools of thought on chains. Either buy a cheap one and run the heck out of it or buy a good one and take care of it. I buy good chains and maintain them.

The Powerlink is a great feature. You can clean the chain off of the bike and get at the cogs, rings, and derailleur pulleys easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Chains are kind of a love 'em, or hate 'em kind of thing, with each brand having it's own fans or detractors.

Sram is no different, though the 991 is a fairly high end-chain and pretty resistant to the stresses of shifting under load which is the main cause of chain breakage.

Also on the plus side, it has a reusable master link, which is nice for those who remove their chains to clean, or who rotate 2 or 3 chains in the effort to maximize cassette life.

As far as dollar value goes, better chains wear better and tend to last slightly longer than less expensive chains, but not by enough to offset the cost difference. The lowest cost per mile is with mid-level chains.
 

·
Dirt Deviant
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
I use the 991 on all my bikes. i like em. i don't stand and mash, more of a sit and spin kind of guy......but I do shift under load quite a bit. Don't have any problems.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
six foot sloth said:
does anyone know how it compares to the shamino Dura ace/xtr 711
Yep, a SRAM PC-991 has a pin pull strength of 200 kgf. The Shimano CN-7701 has a pin pull strength of 350 kgf...so it is 75% stronger at the pins (assuming you do not reuse the pins which should NEVER be done on 9 speed chains). This is an indisputable fact...doesn't mean the PC 991 doesn't work great for many, just means the Shimano chains are stronger.

BTW-SRAM Power Links work just as well on Shimano chains:thumbsup:
 
Joined
·
963 Posts
XTR is way stronger by far
I was breaking 991s in about 2 to 3 months
Now i run XTR on my bikes 7 months going strong on and i weigh 250 + w/gear
I will never buy a sram chain again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Yep, a SRAM PC-991 has a pin pull strength of 200 kgf. The Shimano CN-7701 has a pin pull strength of 350 kgf...so it is 75% stronger at the pins (assuming you do not reuse the pins which should NEVER be done on 9 speed chains). This is an indisputable fact...doesn't mean the PC 991 doesn't work great for many, just means the Shimano chains are stronger.

BTW-SRAM Power Links work just as well on Shimano chains:thumbsup:
Which 991 variant is that for? Single-step riveting, cross-step, or hollow-pin (360°) riveting? 'Cause the hollowpins I've cracked put up a heck of a fight, far harder to drive a pin out of than any Shimano I've dealt with.

If they made the 991 hollowpin with a PowerLock master link like their 10-speed chains have, that would be my ultimate chain right there.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
mechBgon said:
Which 991 variant is that for? Single-step riveting, cross-step, or hollow-pin (360°) riveting? 'Cause the hollowpins I've cracked put up a heck of a fight, far harder to drive a pin out of than any Shimano I've dealt with.

If they made the 991 hollowpin with a PowerLock master link like their 10-speed chains have, that would be my ultimate chain right there.
PC 991 and 991 Hollow Pin are 200kgf, the Cross Step is 250kgf...says so right on the SRAM website.

Shimano uses the same pin technology as KMC X series chains (in fact the HG53 and HG73 are made by KMC). The Extra Stretch Proof pins have a 350kgf pull strength. Shimano used to use the same type of pins as SRAM does on their 9 speed chains and that was when they had more failure issues (most failures however are installation errors such as pushing a pin back in or breaking a chain twice at the same replacement pin). They switched a few years back to the center punched pins and advertise a 50% increase in strength on their website.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
I've never had good luck with sram chains , wipperman either. its funny the wipperman didnt seem to wear as fast but got cracks in the sideplates (too hard?)
Sram broke and wore out fast, xt & xtr seem to last the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
PC 991 and 991 Hollow Pin are 200kgf, the Cross Step is 250kgf...says so right on the SRAM website.

Shimano uses the same pin technology as KMC X series chains (in fact the HG53 and HG73 are made by KMC). The Extra Stretch Proof pins have a 350kgf pull strength.
From working with Shimano, KMC and SRAM chains in person, it seems much harder to drive out a SRAM hollowpin, regardless of what numbers companies A, B and C may decide to use in their marketing materials ;)

I had a KMC X-series chain... broke it. At an embarrassing moment, too.

I had Shimano chains... broke 'em. Every single one. Ok, I have a Dura-Ace 7900 I haven't broken yet, but give me time :D

I had Wipperman chains... broke 'em. And had the dasm Connex links break and/or randomly disconnect, same difference.

I had SRAM chains... broke the step-rivet ones. Also broke the PowerLinks galore, and/or had them randomly disconnect.

I have a SRAM 1090R hollowpin chain with a PowerLock on my road racer. Bulletproof. 1 state championship. I think I like it :thumbsup: If I could use one on my XC race bike, I would, but I think it might be narrow enough to wedge between the chainrings, they're pretty slim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
mechBgon said:
I have a SRAM 1090R hollowpin chain with a PowerLock on my road racer. Bulletproof. 1 state championship. I think I like it :thumbsup: If I could use one on my XC race bike, I would, but I think it might be narrow enough to wedge between the chainrings, they're pretty slim.
Switch to the SRAM XX groupo and you can run the 1090R. I have heard of people running the 10spd chains on 9spd systems for XC use. The chains are not that much smaller.

I run 991 hollow pin and replace it anually. My wife broke a HG53 last year and we swapped her to a 971, so far so good.
Just keep an eye on wear/stretch so to replace them when they need to be and any of the "top" brands will work just fine.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top