Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing pretty much everything over to SRAM on my bike. Coming off XTR. My question is do you guys recommend I switch my cassette over to SRAM as well? To be honest I dont even know what kind of cassette is on there now. It works fine but replacing the RD over to the XO along with chain and shifters to SRAM. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Identify the cassette first and then determine if it is worn out and worth changing.
XTR = Check the largest rings for wear. These are titanium and typically wear faster.
XT = only slightly heavier than XTR but more durable.
SRAM PG990 = CHEAP, durable, red spider for bling factor, close to same weight as XT, and some have reported better shifting than any Shimano cassettes. BTW, stick to 06 or 07. The 05 with the grey spider (and typically found on ebay) had some issues.

Hope this helps.

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I just switched from XTR to the SRAM 990. My shifting is much better, but in fairness to the XTR, it was worn out. Everything feels automatic and as it should. Crisp, precise shifting and I was able to get it on Ebay for less than $75 USD. (and yes the red spider is sweet). I can't imagine a scenario where I would spend twice as much for XTR ever again.

Attachments

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i think the 990 costs too much for what it is. you can get xt for less money and less weight. i think the 980 is a better value - only 10 grams heavier than the 990, but costs much less (it's essentially the same cassette, minus the red ano and aluminum lock ring).

if you are also getting a new crankset, you may as well get a new chain and cassette. otherwise, i would keep the cassette you have now and use that until it wears out.

·
I'm on fire.
304 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
SRAM PG990 = CHEAP, durable, red spider for bling factor, close to same weight as XT, and some have reported better shifting than any Shimano cassettes. BTW, stick to 06 or 07. The 05 with the grey spider (and typically found on ebay) had some issues.
What was the issue with the 05 SRAM cassettes? I've got an 05 970 cassette that I've been wondering about - seems like it has a little bit of play around my Mavic freewheel. Wobbly by 1mm maybe.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Root Rat said:
Go with the PG-990. I have been happy with mine. If you are going X-O might as well get what you want.

BTW check out this link on SRAM vs Shimano Rear Derailleur Test

thats interesting, is having 'suspension' in your rd a good thing or a bad thing?

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
Root Rat said:
Go with the PG-990. I have been happy with mine. If you are going X-O might as well get what you want.

BTW check out this link on SRAM vs Shimano Rear Derailleur Test

Very cool video! I too am wondering whether or not that is a good thing or bad thing to have "suspension" in your rear der. My assumption would be that the SRAM will shift more quickly b/c the upper pulley is a constant distance from the cassette. I would assume that this would keep the chain in the optimum position to shift, especially upshift. But I don't know???

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
The best drivetrain I know of:
SRAM 990
RD of your choice (personal preference)
Wippermann Connex 9x1 - Stainless Steel 9 speed chain, more durable than the SRAM 991

Kiss rusty chains goodbye

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey about the video

I have got to think that less movement is better. I know with my shimano xt i would experience ghost shifting and a lot of chain slap. Now that I have made the move to shram x-7's i have had no ghost shifting and very little chain slap. In this case less is more.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.