Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a pair of dt 240s hubs that have just over 300ks on them. after a really muddy ride i was cleaning the wheels, so i removed the cassette and it has cut into the cassette body :confused: :mad: is this a common problem with these cassettes/hubs ?
I am changing my wheels to crossmax sl's early next week, and want to know if i should go to a shimano ultegra cassette instead of the sram R9 ?

thanks,

Cab-

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
caballero said:
Ive got a pair of dt 240s hubs that have just over 300ks on them. after a really muddy ride i was cleaning the wheels, so i removed the cassette and it has cut into the cassette body :confused: :mad: is this a common problem with these cassettes/hubs ?
I am changing my wheels to crossmax sl's early next week, and want to know if i should go to a shimano ultegra cassette instead of the sram R9 ?

thanks,

Cab-
hoi! this is something i was worried about: the SRAM cassette i have (SRAM pg850) does not have a solid one piece support for the cogs (a la shimano) and i was wondering if that was going to cause problem with an aluminum hub ... apparently it does? :eek:

i am glad i did not install it yet if true, but i would have to find an xtr 8 speed ... :(

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
dirkfh said:
Shimano's do the same thing. My cassette body looks terrible, but still works fine after many years of hard riding.

DFH
really? i have 7 years old chris king and they do not ave a scratch using xt/xtr cassette ... does anybody else have any input? the contact area of the sram on the cassette body looks much smaller ...

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
In my experience

(and I've spent a lot of time prying cassettes off aloy carriers), EVERY alloy cassette carrier has this 'issue', as well as most cassettes. I wouldn't worry about it, as there isn't much you can you, short of buying a cassette with more cogs attacheed to a spider.

In this respect road cogsets make things slightly worse, because fewer cogs are on a spider.

·
Registered
907 Posts
eric said:
(and I've spent a lot of time prying cassettes off aloy carriers), EVERY alloy cassette carrier has this 'issue', as well as most cassettes. I wouldn't worry about it, as there isn't much you can you, short of buying a cassette with more cogs attacheed to a spider.

In this respect road cogsets make things slightly worse, because fewer cogs are on a spider.
If you have a hub with an aluminum drive shell, you need to run a cassette with the bigger cogs on a spider, or you will damage the hub. I'm not sure about the 8 speed stuff, but for 9 speed this means SRAM 990, Shimano XT, XTR, Dura Ace, and Ultegra. When you go down to 950, 970, LX, 105, etc, they all have individual cogs. The number of cogs that are on the spider doesn't really matter, what is important is the size of the largest cog that isn't on the spider - the bigger it is, the more damage it can do. I'm not sure about the SRAM cassettes, but for XTR/XT it can be 15, 16 or 17. On Dura Ace and Ultegra the largest is always 15.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could be worse.... I got a set of Lightweights with the DT hub. I was taking off the cassette and noticed really deep notches all the way up it!! Nearly cried. I'm not really suprised though, I was using a TA Kheops which is known for doing this to hubs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
same here, my cassette bit into my alloy cassette carrier (XT on a hugi 240) It certainly did not look good, but made no difference to function and was hidden when the cassette was on so cannot even be considered 'cosmetic'.

you could always swap the alloy carrier on your new Xmax SLs to a steel one, but personally would not worry about it.

PS I got some new Xmax SLs too, they look great but I have not ridden them yet ! :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe I'm the strongest guy around here :) I managed to use the 15t cog on the XTR cassette as a machining tool on an FRM hub... The 15t freewheeled for the last 20 km of the race...

-b

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
Davide said:
really? i have 7 years old chris king and they do not ave a scratch using xt/xtr cassette ... does anybody else have any input? the contact area of the sram on the cassette body looks much smaller ...
I have a CK hub with XT cassette and it has definately put a "notch" in the contact area. Is fairly common I was informed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.