Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I am sure no one has because mineral oil is not compatible with any SRAM brake. You have to us DOT brake fluid, no way around that. The only reason anyone would want to do that is if they wanted to destroy their brakes and buy new ones.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure no one has because mineral oil is not compatible with any SRAM brake. You have to us DOT brake fluid, no way around that. The only reason anyone would want to do that is if they wanted to destroy their brakes and buy new ones.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Don't be so naive, loads of people Have run breaks on water when in a pinch. Dot fluid is corrosive so will definitely damage seals designed for mineral oils, but I've never had a definite answer on the other way round, so someone with experience would be nice. Personally I don't want to use dot fluid.

I'm probably going to buy some cura 4's as the lever throw is to long on the srams with topping up the main cylinder mid pad life for me, but if I can get away with mineral oil in the guide r's then happy days.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
with brake systems the only answer is use what the manufacturer says to use

it is critical safety equipment. deviate and you are now in untested and unsupported config and if your brakes fail as a result, and at a critical moment...[what happens?]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with brake systems the only answer is use what the manufacturer says to use

it is critical safety equipment. deviate and you are now in untested and unsupported config and if your brakes fail as a result, and at a critical moment...[what happens?]
I'll use the other break to stop thanks. Plus I'll see them weeping oil and they be spongy as a damp sponge. It's not like we're landing rockets on a barge here...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well these guys did it and it didn't seem to go well. OP wasn't being naive with my answer just using common sense. Oh and using water in a pinch. Well moisture or water is not the same as using a completely different type of fluid. Plus the DOT brakes (not breaks by the way) are exposed to water all the time. Brake fluid is hudroscopic. That is why you should t use old brake fluid that is sitting around. It lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid and can cause brake fade. Much more of an issue for cars though.

Mineral Oil + SRAM brakes = ??? - Endeavor Cycles

·
Registered
9,485 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well these guys did it and it didn't seem to go well. OP wasn't being naive with my answer just using common sense. Oh and using water in a pinch. Well moisture or water is not the same as using a completely different type of fluid. Plus the DOT brakes (not breaks by the way) are exposed to water all the time. Brake fluid is hudroscopic. That is why you should t use old brake fluid that is sitting around. It lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid and can cause brake fade. Much more of an issue for cars though.

Mineral Oil + SRAM brakes = ??? - Endeavor Cycles
just found it ?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
Plus the DOT brakes (not breaks by the way) are exposed to water all the time. Brake fluid is hudroscopic.
can't be the spelling police if you can't spel

HYGROSCOPIC by the way

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
DOT is fine and in many ways superior to mineral oil, which is why it's used in cars, trucks, motos, etc... I started dealing with it doing the brakes on my beater cars in the mid '70s and since in cars, motos and later bicycles. It's not corrosive (whatever you might mean by that) and is certainly no big deal. Get over it.

I love the smell of DOT in the morning.

·
Registered
767 Posts
All above points aside, SRAM brakes are well known for their warranty issues. More than any other product I've dealt with over the years, I've sent SRAM brakes in for replacement way to often. Using anything beside DOT fluid will void the warranty.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.