Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting a new bike soon and on the one hand I’ve been a shimano guy and really like the new 12spd xtr (I actually had a chance to ride in Sedona awhile ago and was super impressed) but on the other hand Sram has wireless shifting with the AXS.

If you were in my shoes and could get either one which one would you chose and why?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, not quite sure how the new AXS MTB compares to the road electronic stuff, but I've worked on both Shimano and SRAM and neither honestly impressed me much, not for the cost of them and trouble shooting when/if you get an electrical glitch is a fvcking PITA.

From all reports on the new Shimano stuff, they've made some good improvements in the shift quality, both up and down and to me that's what's important. Also for me, I prefer Shimano ergonomics and overall general feel/design over SRAM.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I would go with the AXS. Reason being is that it's interchangeable with Red AXS so you can customize the gearing. If you ever go down that road

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
One determining factor could also be your hubs. If you’re particular with which hubs you run you may not be able to run microspline at this time.
I just ordered an AXS groupset as I played around with XTR at the LBS and I didn’t like the feel of the shifter. Maybe I’ve just been using SRAM too long and am used to their shifter feel. And for what it’s worth, most report that XTR shifters loosen up a bit after 100 miles or so. I just felt the XTR shifter was too cheesy compared to mechanical Eagle, let alone AXS. And... I love the XD driver design.
Either way, it’s the top of the top, what a dilemma to be in!

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,212 Posts
Not that I can afford any of this stuff, but I can't resist dreaming and theorizing...

If it shifts as cleanly as they say up and down, I'd go with XTR for the chain/cassette and if AXS is mostly trouble free/non-glitchy, I'd choose that for the shifter/derailleur.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I recently dealt with this same "dilemma", if you will. I ended up going with XX1 AXS. I was really leaning towards XTR, but when I saw a study from the University of Maldovia that showed an increase in output of 3.5 watts with the oil slick cassette coating over a standard black cassette I was sold.

Actually. . . I was back and forth between XTR and AXS with my primary internal debate being cassette range and hub compatibility. With my existing wheels I could simply replace the driver body and move to AXS, saving a fair bit of cash. Of course, I ended up getting new wheels anyway, which made that point moot, but by that time I had been caught up on the AXS hype train. The idea of wireless shifting had me intrigued. Added to that was the fact that the AXS controller now allows for "index finger" shifting, something I really loved about my Shimano shifters. A broken derailleur cable the week I ordered my drivetrain really swayed my decision as well.

I guess the point I'm making is that I was on the fence till the last minute, and there wasn't any major performance metric that swayed me. Shimano's struggles to get XTR out dented my confidence in them, coupled with the geek factor of wireless shifting moved me towards SRAM. The fact that the SRAM kit was available when they said it would be helped too. The day I ordered my SRAM AXS XX1 kit there were still parts of the XTR kit that were seemingly on perpetual backorder here locally.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
To be fair, the two groupsets are in two entirely different leagues cost-wise.

For me, though, there is a fundamental bicycle aesthetic that I prefer where I don't want batteries controlling any critical functions. I don't mind having battery operated bolt-on bits that don't change the fundamentals of mtb riding if the battery dies, or I forget to charge/replace it (which happens sometimes), but something like shifting? No, thanks.

I bought my xtr stuff from Germany before it was available here at all (never cared about the crank), but it looks like that source is drying up for NA-based riders.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
You are an admitted Shimano fan. Already tested the new system and liked it. Seems like the obvious answer is XTR.

I would rather have AXS myself. I already have Eagle on a couple of my bikes and like it. XD is easy to find. Wireless is cake to install and set up, and move to other bikes if you choose with minimal work.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Have ridden both, prefer AXS. To top it off, Shimano has had a whole host of issues getting XTR ready for the market. While there is risk in being the guinea pig with either system or mfg, SRAM has stepped up for their customers when they make mistakes (guide levers) and has a proven track record of excellent customer service.

Also, holy smokes the shifting on AXS... It's as close to telepathic as you can get without implanting a controller into your brain.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Have ridden both, prefer AXS. To top it off, Shimano has had a whole host of issues getting XTR ready for the market. While there is risk in being the guinea pig with either system or mfg, SRAM has stepped up for their customers when they make mistakes (guide levers) and has a proven track record of excellent customer service.

Also, holy smokes the shifting on AXS... It's as close to telepathic as you can get without implanting a controller into your brain.
Is having to deal with a LBS vs. directly part of excellent CS?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Until 12speed Di2 XTR comes out, there really isn't any competition. I'm not going to buy another cable operated gear system again, so good is AXS.
Well I really hope we don't see another Di2 system, but instead something similar to AXS -> wireless..... Would be kinda awkward of Shimano to release more electronic wires when the modern era is all about wireless ;)

I just ordered my XTR drivetrain (SRAM chain for Garbaruk chainring) so I would gladely see something wireless that would work out of the box with micro spline and the XTR 10-51 cassette

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'd get X01 11-speed and spend the leftover $$$$ on a weeklong vacation.
I'd get both, throw them both in my CamelBak along with an assortment of titanium bolts that don't fit anything on my bike. I'd then pull my chain off and make my existing drivetrain useless. And then I would book a month long vacation with the left over money. I have this cross posted from the "I don't think 12 speeds are worth it and neither should you" thread

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You need to do yourself a favour and at least try AXS.

It's a whole new level of shifting. Flawless but also the shifting itself - just light taps on the paddle - are a game changer. Hold it down and you can have 2, 3 or continuous smooth shifting.

Not to mention the wireless, clean, uber simple wireless set up.

Nothing like it. I realize "game changer" has become cliche but, sorry, it is a game changer.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.