Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife rides a 2004 Spec. S-Works Stumpy HT. The bike is tricked out. She did not like the dual control levers so we swapped them out for the AVID's and SRAM XO grip shift. Presently she has Avid Single Digit Ti brakes and levers, rim brakes. She severely damaged her right brake lever in a crash. I was able to straighten the lever but the pull is not smooth and when she releases the brake it does not always return by itself, she has to manually push it back out. I never did like the brakes all that much personally and I have the chance to buy her a complete set of AVID Ultimate, brakes and levers with Flak jacket cables. The brakes and cables are brand new, still in the boxes. A guy at work wants $160 for the complete set up. I have never used these brakes so I do not have an opinion on them. It will be cheaper to just buy a new lever, but I never do anything just because it's cheaper. Is this worth the money and will she see a difference? The guy at work has over twenty sets of these brakes and levers. His wife used to be a contract worker for AVID, she put the brake hardware together for the company. She actually used to press the bearings into the brakes and such...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the Ultimate brakes and levers on my hardtail and I love them. Is it worth the extra money, depends on the person. If you have the cash and it won't break the bank, go for it. People can say what they want but I think there's a big difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grabbed the brakes after a friend told me they sell for around $350.00 retail. $160.00 was a steal. I am going to get a second set to have on hand at that price. I'm going to put them on her bike tonight and hope for a ride on 01-02. Will let you know what her and I think. Thanks for the info TrailVictim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.