Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed these guys on jenson (cheap $33 rear and $20 for the front) and they apparently weight 80g/pc at least that's what jenson says since sram's site says "n/a" for weight. Apparently these can be used for shimano too. Had no idea. I could save about 60g over my m970 triggers. Wondering if anyone has the true weights of these and know if you can really use these on an xtr 970 rear derailleur. I was under the impression there was the 2:1 ratio that never allowed for this.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL407A00-Sram+Attack+Shorty+Single+Shifter.aspx

These seem to be lighter than even the x.o. twisters too!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
protocol_droid said:
So I noticed these guys on jenson (cheap $33 rear and $20 for the front) and they apparently weight 80g/pc at least that's what jenson says since sram's site says "n/a" for weight. Apparently these can be used for shimano too. Had no idea. I could save about 60g over my m970 triggers. Wondering if anyone has the true weights of these and know if you can really use these on an xtr 970 rear derailleur. I was under the impression there was the 2:1 ratio that never allowed for this.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL407A00-Sram+Attack+Shorty+Single+Shifter.aspx

These seem to be lighter than even the x.o. twisters too!
here you go: the wires are 27g...

beware of bad weather with these grips though! i'd suggest you look out for Grip Shift Plasmas. still lighter, grippier and performance on par with X.0

yes - both the Attack and also the Plasma work with Shimano.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Ive heard those Nobu shifters work like crap though, these light Sram ones work just as well as the heavier ones.

i've got a set of new in box Sram Plasma shifters. I'll never use them though,ill only use Sram deraileurs. i just had to get them cuz they are so light,as nino mentioned.

im really bad with impulse buys, but at the time i thought of doing a super light setup with a Dura-ace deraileur.

im switching my x-0 trigger for a x-0 grip-shift after i got the frame powdercoated this winter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the pics nino. HoM you've got a pm.

there was another thread about the nobu shifters and how the foam just comes right off the plastic and the shifting is pretty crappy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nino said:
beware of bad weather with these grips though!
Yes! I'm using the attack ones and since some muddy sunday they get realy stuck... Sometimes seems like we need some hammer to shift in the rear... :sad:

I'm about to change the cables, now that I get some patience to do the job and I hope to solve the problem doing this...

Well, it was just to reinforce Nino's ideia!...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
J. Random Psycho said:
What's the difference between Attack and Rocket grip shifters? And why the Rocket are no longer made?
In 2004/05 Sram discontinued the the Rocket GripShift..Why, I don't know..IMHO they
were a better shifter than the Attack offering..Maybe someone with the knowlege will
chime in..
~Jake

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no!

Tiffster said:
i found a seller with some Sachs Quartz grippers if thats any good ? 120g the pair
no-no good!

keep clear of them. I still have a set collecting dust somewhere in a box in my basement....those are all plastic and do shift like that: like crap.

once again: the wires weigh 27g...

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Tiffster said:
Ok.

Grip shift is alien to me - last time i rode it was some 8spd stuff. Come to think of it i think i was about 8 too !
I felt the same years ago. The first gripshifters i triedd waaaay back were performing just like the Quartz - like $hit.

So it was Shimano STI all the way until i tried a bike of a friend of mine who had those Plasma shifters. Well - no turning back anymore. Those Plasma rock and save quite a bit of weight compared to other shifters while offering top-performance.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
I converted to gripshifters because they don't get in the way when I crash. ) But it turned out that they work great, too - there's nothing to give up coming from triggers. They require some getting used to, and that's all.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nino-

have you seen the sachs ritchey gripshifts? Are these just rebranded quartz shifters? I ended up picking up a set on fleabay that were 138gm with cables apparently. I hope these aren't crappy. I'm still waiting to see if I can get some plasma's from midas perhaps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.