Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a gravel event that recommends at least 1:1 gearing ratio for the climbs on the course. I'm currently running a SRAM Apex 1X setup with 40t chain ring and 11-36t cassette. Does anyone know for certain that I can put on a SRAM 11-42t cassette without any changes other than a longer chain?

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm doing a gravel event that recommends at least 1:1 gearing ratio for the climbs on the course. I'm currently running a SRAM Apex 1X setup with 40t chain ring and 11-36t cassette. Does anyone know for certain that I can put on a SRAM 11-42t cassette without any changes other than a longer chain?

Thanks
It is compatible. I've had a complete SRAM Apex 1 build with a 42T chainring and 11-42 cassette.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could also put a smaller chain ring on. I also have SRAM Apex, I have this one; SRAM APEX 1X OVAL Premium Chainring. I don't really care about the oval, but I like the 38t size.
Since this is a Cannondale SuperX I am limited on chain ring options. I should have mentioned that it has Cdale crankset. Wolf Tooth makes rings for this bike, and I currently have their 40t on. They also make is a 38t, but I can't find a shop with one available. The 11-42t cassette arrives today, it sounds like it will work. This event has 10K' climbing and as I mentioned they recommend 1:1 or lighter.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I am running a 40T ring with and 11/46 cassette with my Apex. As long as you have the correct chain length, it will work. Mine is just a touch lazy dropping down to the 11T, but otherwise it works fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the 11-42T cassette in and ready to install but now I have the spacer question:

When I look at the chart below I read no spacer, but the product page for the cassette says the following:

• 11-42t cassette fits 10 and 11-speed non-XD™ driver bodies (1.85mm spacer is required for 11-speed drivers

I was expecting to use a spacer, but it appears the cassette did not come with an extra spacer to put between the cassette and wheel side. Maybe they do that to avoid confusion for those that don't need it. I do have extra spacers lying around. This is a NON-XD setup.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some 11 speed freehub bodies are longer than others. A "road" freehub body may require a spacer, while a "MTB" freehub will not.
Since there was not an extra spacer I did the cassette install without one. It tightened up fine without any lateral play or wiggle. My existing chain must have been too long for my old cassette because it works fine with the 42t cassette. Funny because it seemed to work fine for the 36T cassette. I did the calculation for the 42T sprocket and came up with 55 links and that's how many I had. The only thing I had to do was adjust the B-gap screw.

Thanks to everyone for the input, looks like I'm good to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.