Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to grab a new cassette cheap. I run sram in the past. Its fine so I'm finding some good prices for 970. I'm confused by the pictures.
I expect to see a large normal looking cassette (picture 1)
On the website I see picture 2

Looks more like a DH cassette that I see on Sram's website.

I'm a bit confused as I don't see "DH" stamped on the locking ring on picture 2. Any reason for the different looking sizes. I'm ignorant of drivetrain stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry

muddywings said:
So I'm looking to grab a new cassette cheap. I run sram in the past. Its fine so I'm finding some good prices for 970. I'm confused by the pictures.
I expect to see a large normal looking cassette (picture 1)
On the website I see picture 2

Looks more like a DH cassette that I see on Sram's website.

I'm a bit confused as I don't see "DH" stamped on the locking ring on picture 2. Any reason for the different looking sizes. I'm ignorant of drivetrain stuff

forgot to upload second picture and having issues edit...see second picture:

Attachments

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Pictures aren't always accurate in ads. If they're vague in the description about which version of the 970 better call or keep looking. I do wonder what the 100g difference is specifically between the "DH" 970 11-26 and the regular 11-26.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
muddywings said:
is the second picture a road 970 and the first a mtb 970?
There are two 970's from what I can see, one is designated with the DH and has a red lockring that says DH (per the SRAM site) and weighs 325 g for a 11-26t set. The other 970 (road or mountain, depends what bike you put it on) is 225 g for an 11-26t set, but is available in several other ranges as well, and has a silver lockring that says HT. Looks like the cogs aren't drilled on the DH version.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
zahgurim said:
Sram's DH 970 has no spaces cut out on the individual cogs. They are solid sheet, and heavy.
You mean there's no spider? Just solid cogs and spacers? Although now that I look again I do now see some drilling on the cogs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
He means the cogs have none of the pie shaped cutouts or holes drilled in them. They are solid plates of steel.

From the looks of the cassette on their website though it does have the cutouts in them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i figured it out

AZ was correct; I just didn't comprehend his answer correctly.
the second picture is a road 11-23T; the first is a mtb 11-32/34T. The picture from the second cassette had different options on the online store that ranged from the road range to the mtb range but they only displayed the road picture (the second picture one I posted). I'm guessing since I can order the 11-34T that what I will get is what is displayed on first picture (a stnd mtb cassette)

The DH and the road cassettes look similar I guess

got it, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.