Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a SRAM 991 chain on a 1x9 set up and I have snapped the chain twice already. I have no idea what is going on. The alignment is fine is just don't get it. Today it just pulled right apart, thankfully I was only about a 1/2 a mile into my ride. The chain is only 3 months old. Is there something better out there? stronger?.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the reverse problem, I just busted my shimano chain on my new HiF29er, three times. And I only have a handfull of rides on it. I've used Shimano chains on my old bike for years, and rarely popped a chain. Guess the newer fancy-schmancy Shimano rivets don't take kindly to a stanard chain break. On the HiFi the rear derailer is a Sram so now I'm going to try a basic sram 9 spd chain.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I've had a chain break a couple of times and it was always a bad joint (by me or LBS) on a Shimano chain. A bent cog or a derailer that is out of adjustment may contribute too: the chain gets snagged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.