Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
10s

Patriot222 said:
Are you sure it's 9 speed? They have a new 10 speed flat bar shifter, but I wasn't aware of a 9 yet.
correct - from what i know these are 10s. i was also curious to hear about them since those would allow for a superlight 10s conversion on a MTB:

shifters: ca. 230g??
SRAM Red rear derailleur: 132g (with some tuning)
10s 11-27SL Titanium Cassette: 139g

i am as well interested to hear about those shifters since this conversion really sounds interesting to me...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you know if the Red derailleur will manage a 32t big cog?

Recon makes a 11-32t 10speed cassette that will give a good range but also small enough gaps between the gears.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
LAN said:
Do you know if the Red derailleur will manage a 32t big cog?

Recon makes a 11-32t 10speed cassette that will give a good range but also small enough gaps between the gears.
No it won't handle it smoothly. A 27t is about max.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
well..

Patriot222 said:
No it won't handle it smoothly. A 27t is about max.
i'm running a shortcage 10s DA rear derailleur on a 11-32 cassette. works!

these DA derailleurs also are supposed to take 27t max....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes 9 speed

In the pic... its a 10-speed shifter. I havent found a 9-speed shifter yet..

FYI Hawleys USA and QBP are both selling 10-speed and 9-speed shifters. The 10-speed shifters will only work with the sram road rear derailleurs and the 9-speed uses only the sram mtn. rear derailleurs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have also run an DA derailleur with 32t, but I haven't tried with Red yet.

I am going with 42/33 in front because this is the smallest possible on a road compact crankset. So low q-factor, and almost 1:1 gear ratio.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
nino said:
i'm running a shortcage 10s DA rear derailleur on a 11-32 cassette. works!

these DA derailleurs also are supposed to take 27t max....
Maybe it's a generation issue with the DA. I tried to use a 9 speed, short cage DA with an 11-32 once and it wasn't happy. It just didn't have the range.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Patriot222 said:
Maybe it's a generation issue with the DA. I tried to use a 9 speed, short cage DA with an 11-32 once and it wasn't happy. It just didn't have the range.
It depend of the frame.

The proble is the top pulley hitting the 32T. Some drop-out are longer then other. You can also put a slightly longer B-Screw:thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
range...

Patriot222 said:
you need to run the absolutely shortest chain if you use 3 chainrings. i now use only 2 chainrings up front (42/29) so no issues with lack of chain tension

i also run 10t Extralite pulley wheels which give a little more room and allow the derailleur to accept the 32 better.with the 11t pulley it would tough the cog slightly when running in 29/32 gear.no problem though, just making some noise;)

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
LAN said:
I have also run an DA derailleur with 32t, but I haven't tried with Red yet.

I am going with 42/33 in front because this is the smallest possible on a road compact crankset. So low q-factor, and almost 1:1 gear ratio.
sounds really cool, put up a pic of your setup.
every time ive tried road cranks on my HT they hit the chainstays, i couldnt space them out enough either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts