Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRAM makes 2 different 7 speed DH cassettes - inexpensive and expensive. The cheaper GX has individual cogs for a Shimano freehub. Anyone use the GX and does it chew into the freehub? Thanks.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I use the gx, but too soon to tell you if it chews them up. I could be wrong, but the load on a DH hub doesn’t seem as extreme or frequent as that of a cassette on a bike used to do a bunch of climbing. How expensive are the freehubs in question?

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the gx, but too soon to tell you if it chews them up. I could be wrong, but the load on a DH hub doesn't seem as extreme or frequent as that of a cassette on a bike used to do a bunch of climbing. How expensive are the freehubs in question?
E-13 freehub's are a very reasonable $50. I guess depending on the lifespan of the GX I might have to factor in a new freehub if the GX is a strong biter :)

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Relatively speaking that’s definitely pretty reasonable for a freehub. Mine are right around $140, and decided that if it gets chewed up fast I’ll bite the bullet and get the X01 cassette whoch uses the XD driver. I actually ordered my wheels with an XD driver because I didn’t realize the Sram GX groupset that came on my complete V10 build was Shimano, so I have the XD driver lying around if it comes to that. Given the price of your freehub, if I were in your shoes I’d do as you indicated and probably even just replace the freehub as needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.