Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
It looks to be a little loose. You can buy the tool and DIY or if you take the wheel to your local shop they'll likely snug it up for free.

·
Registered
467 Posts
One of two things, either you are missing a spacer that goes on the freehub before the cassette goes on (locking ring cant seat the cassette fully) or the cassette locking ring is loose.

you will need a SRAM/Shimano lock ring tool, a chain whip and a crescent wrench.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
there is something wrong there. I'm guessing the chain rings weren't put on right in the first place. Even a loose lockring wouldn't do that I think..

buy the right lockring tool for your lockring (take a picture and post it if you don't know).

get a chain whip, i like this one: 3 in 1 Function Bicycle Chain Whip Bike Bottom Bracket Tool Lock Ring Tool | eBay

take the lock ring off and slide the chainrings off. When you reinstall them, make sure you align the chainrig inner notches correctly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is no way to put the chain rings on wrong, there is a indexing notch that is skinner than the rest of the notches. Only allows you to put the rings on in one position.

Have you ever taken the cassette off of this wheel or had a shop take it off?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
On a 10 spd cassette like yours, its usually the first 2 that are separate pieces. The 3rd one that has wiggles would make me believe that the whole cassette does. It might be a worn out freewheel. But, its always a good test to remove it and inspect it, then reinstall it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been wanting to overhaul my rear wheel, but it's my first time so I don't know which tools I need. I know I need a chain whip, a lockring holder or remover or something tool, and a crescent wrench, which I have. Are there different sizes of chain whips and locking remover tools?
I looked at other threads but couldn't seem to figure out my questions. Also, where can the chain whips and lockring holders be found for under $25 for both?

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah I see I can just use a glove and a rag in place of a chain whip, but for the lock ring tool, Park Tool has different model types, and some say they're made for shimano and others don't specify which model they're made for. I have SRAM shifters and derailleurs, and SR Suntour cassette in front (can't see a brand on rear cassette, but everything is stock), so probably suntour in back too.

Does it matter which one I buy? Thank you

·
Registered
973 Posts
that sure appears to be a worn freehub...especially if the hub is aluminum. The cog movement is front to back. If it wobbled side to side, a loose lockring or missing/mis-placed spacer could be the culprit, but I have never seen a lockring loosen up if tightend even close to spec. Has it been apart recently? It really don't make any difference, either way it's got to come apart.

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
that sure appears to be a worn freehub...especially if the hub is aluminum. The cog movement is front to back. If it wobbled side to side, a loose lockring or missing/mis-placed spacer could be the culprit, but I have never seen a lockring loosen up if tightend even close to spec. Has it been apart recently? It really don't make any difference, either way it's got to come apart.
Cassettes can actually move like that due to a loose lockring, some freehub body/cassette combos more than others. I've seen a lot of loose lockrings too, though that one must be extremely loose if nothing else is wrong (missing spacer, etc.). Some people tighten them with their fingers.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Cassettes can actually move like that due to a loose lockring, some freehub body/cassette combos more than others. I've seen a lot of loose lockrings too, though that one must be extremely loose if nothing else is wrong (missing spacer, etc.). Some people tighten them with their fingers.
really??...with their fingers??...OMG :eek:ut: let's hope the OP fills in the blanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts