Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i bought an unsold 2017 HT with that fork.
It kind of works OK but probably not optimal.
I know very little on this subject. I do not jump, drops 1 foot, weight 135 pounds. Maybe it is packing? Maybe the rebound is to slow?
I will discuss it with my LBS but hope your experience might guide me in the proper direction. All the rest of this bike is to my liking.
Is there an affordable kit?
Ya, you guessed it i am not an agressive rider, do not focus on speed. I enjoy climbing was doing XC with a Rockshox 100 mm top quality now a bit more challenging trails.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A description of the symptoms would be useful. How is the fork performing that you aren't liking?

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
At the beginning of the season after riding my wrists were painfull.
I am pretty sure it was from going down thrue a rock garden but i tought maybe i was to blame because i was on a new bike i was too tense. Since that i think it responds well to a single obstacle but when they are lined up the absorbtion is not what it should be.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What have you tried so far? I assume you have already properly set air pressure and tried adjusting rebound higher?
Well i bought it new from my LBS in december asked for it to be adjusted for my weight i might have said 145 allowing for gear. 2 days ago i asked my other LBS(i kind of live in 2 places) to adjust it for 120 pounds so the air pressure was dropped from 90 tp 60. Yesterday my ride was better over 2hrs, i used 80mm out of the 120. Before i probably never used more than 60 mm. So that mecanic lives where i ride he will probably let a bit of air next week and i will probably be set properly. I asked here to find out if it was a very low quality and there was a need to improve it. I just want to ride often pain free, no jumps, small drops.
I was on my fat till april 15th than trails were wet so it is like i bought it 2 weeks ago, fine tuning it. 3 days ago i put on the proper saddle, 6 days ago proper rear tire......

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Ok so you are definitely no using all of your travel so you should drop your air pressure some. Recently heard a FOX suspension tech that works with their pro riders on setup that when starting out, for air pressure you should add 1psi per kilo of weight, so at 120lbs that would make you roughly 54kgs. So drop your air pressure side down to about that.

From there set your rebound based on frequency, meaning get on the bike and ride around a parking lot a bit while bouncing on the front end. Go for a frequency that feels balanced, not bucking your back quickly but also not wallowing down. This can somewhat be simulated by pushing down on the bars quickly (while standing over the bike or next to the bike) and releasing and seeing how quickly it bounces back at you.

Since your version of the Raidon is the RL, you only have rebound and lockout for adjustments aside from the air. Put the lockout lever in full open and leave there. IF you want to do a damper upgrade, you can purchase through SR Suntour... That would give you the ability to adjust the low speed compression (which is what influences the small quick impacts like you are talking about such as rock gardens).

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so you are definitely no using all of your travel so you should drop your air pressure some. Recently heard a FOX suspension tech that works with their pro riders on setup that when starting out, for air pressure you should add 1psi per kilo of weight, so at 120lbs that would make you roughly 54kgs. So drop your air pressure side down to about that.

From there set your rebound based on frequency, meaning get on the bike and ride around a parking lot a bit while bouncing on the front end. Go for a frequency that feels balanced, not bucking your back quickly but also not wallowing down. This can somewhat be simulated by pushing down on the bars quickly (while standing over the bike or next to the bike) and releasing and seeing how quickly it bounces back at you.

Since your version of the Raidon is the RL, you only have rebound and lockout for adjustments aside from the air. Put the lockout lever in full open and leave there. IF you want to do a damper upgrade, you can purchase through SR Suntour... That would give you the ability to adjust the low speed compression (which is what influences the small quick impacts like you are talking about such as rock gardens).
Thanks a bunch. Ya the young guy that did my last adjusment said an other might be needed. We are having rain but after 3 other rides i will probably get it set about 55. I like the bike and when set for me i will probably love it. I switched from 175 to 165 mm arms. Just an Alu bike but geared for me.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Ya the young guy that did my last adjusment said an other might be needed. We are having rain but after 3 other rides i will probably get it set about 55. I like the bike and when set for me i will probably love it. I switched from 175 to 165 mm arms. Just an Alu bike but geared for me.
Nice.... other option you could look at too is using the SR Suntour trade-in program. You could trade your old fork in for something that is a bit nicer with more adjustment to be able to make some different changes. But from what it sounds like you are using it for you really are limited for the adjustments you really NEED.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.