Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used sr suntour forks, im just looking for feedbacks and suggestions about this brand of fork, im planning on buying one coz its cheap. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
XC707 said:
Has anyone here used sr suntour forks, im just looking for feedbacks and suggestions about this brand of fork, im planning on buying one coz its cheap. :)
These shocks are typically found on entry level, low end bikes. They are cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. Save your money and get something worth having on your ride.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
XC707 said:
I believe that suntour does make some higher quality forks. They don't have much for marketing and the only suntour forks we see are usually on the low end bikes as mentioned. I don't think many people here have actually tried the "higher end" suntour forks, so you probably won't find anyone reccomending them. If you really are on a very tight budget, they may be worth considering. However, there probably is a reason why you don't see too many "serious" riders using the stuff. If it was super awesome the word would get out. Don't have much personal experience with their forks, so i can't offer too much advice.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I have one on my Giant Warp... XCP 75 which is a "mid" level one for them.

I can't recommend it. Too stiff springs, too heavy. It's directionally stiff in the same way a rigid fork is. A Manitou Axel is clearly superior.

Notice that even the higher end ones hardly have any damping. No Damping = Pogo stick

Here is the entire line:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/standard.xml?vpID=186

There are some blowouts from Manitou, Zoke or even RS woth considering.

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice and infos , what fork do u recommend for me ,im 200lbs 5' 9" and into extreme crosscountry, i do a lot of uphills and singletrack, and the singletracks are always downhills, im not really on a tight budget but i always look for the best bang for the buck.tnx

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
XC707 said:
thanks for the advice and infos , what fork do u recommend for me ,im 200lbs 5' 9" and into extreme crosscountry, i do a lot of uphills and singletrack, and the singletracks are always downhills, im not really on a tight budget but i always look for the best bang for the buck.tnx
As mentioned, the best bang for the buck will come from blowouts and clearences on older models.

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
I used to have the SR when I was a kid, and it is a total POS in every way. Basically if you aren't getting it free it has less "bang for the buck" than a pile of dog crap. I agree, closeouts on 04 stuff is the way to go, my current bike is 100% closeout stuff, probably saved about $1000 over buying "this years"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Seems alot of folks don't know the low end Marzocchi forks are OEM'd by Suntour.
jp3d said:
I used to have the SR when I was a kid, and it is a total POS in every way. Basically if you aren't getting it free it has less "bang for the buck" than a pile of dog crap. I agree, closeouts on 04 stuff is the way to go, my current bike is 100% closeout stuff, probably saved about $1000 over buying "this years"

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
lebikerboy said:
Seems alot of folks don't know the low end Marzocchi forks are OEM'd by Suntour.
I didn't know that, but what does it have to do with what you quoted, or this thread? I have used the SR Suntour fork and low end Marzocchi forks, and the two aren't even worth comparing at all. Obviously Suntour is a decent manufacturer, but is lacking in the R&D (at least on the SR fork is question).

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for your info, im from the Philippines ,and we dont have a closeout sale here,so i guess ill just have to spend a lot more. anyway thanks for the help and info. :)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
XC707 said:
for your info, im from the Philippines ,and we dont have a closeout sale here,so i guess ill just have to spend a lot more. anyway thanks for the help and info. :)
I pretty much share your pain. I'm at Mexico. Not that far but enough to have a "barrier" that make things uberexpensive compared to US.

Get a Manitou Axel Super. You don't say what use or what bike do you have but the Axel Super is a very decent performer at a decent price. Get the 100mm version. The 120 is just wimp.

Get away from the XCP75 forks from Suntour... you'd be better with a rigid fork.

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my ride is a khs alite 2000 but i built it from the frame up, im currently using my friends rst fork which i think is a very low end fork with 2" travel , ill check out the axel super and thanks again for the info :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36135&item=7153844170&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

what about this fork?

right now my ride has a suntour mg9050 from 2001(i baught a gt idrive off ebay and its pretty much crap lol but it works). it seems to have some decent features and it looks like it will go for under 200 bucks. anyone see anything wrong with it? im sure it would be better than what i have now.

or what about those noleen cross link forks that are on the ediscountbikes for between 100 and 200 bucks, are those anygood, they sure look goofy

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
jp3d said:
I didn't know that, but what does it have to do with what you quoted, or this thread? I have used the SR Suntour fork and low end Marzocchi forks, and the two aren't even worth comparing at all. Obviously Suntour is a decent manufacturer, but is lacking in the R&D (at least on the SR fork is question).
Suntour isn't lacking in R&D in the slightest. Ya know that inifinte travel adjust feature manitou introduced to their 2005 Nixon forks? Suntour's been using an identical feature on various models for three years now. The only thing suntour lacks is brand name recognition, and that's because of product managers, who'd rather spec a bottom end rockshox judy TT or marzocchi MX Comp, instead of a suntour fork that has better features AND a lower price tag. SR Suntour makes a couple dozen models. I think if you haven't used their mid to upper range you should just stay out of this discussion.

The XCP-75 mentioned before isn't mid-range for them, its still low range. Upper level of the low range, but low range nevertheless.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You guys realize that a number of Marzocchi forks are now manufactured by SR Suntour, right? They've made huge leaps in technology, but the bottom line is that they're still cheap and unreliable forks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
"extreme" and "hardcore"...

are really, really overused. where did anyone say they were looking for a "hardcore" or "extreme" fork? just a decent fork at a decent price... besides, where is it written that all products shall be for hardcore extremes anyways? do cx racers need the super heavy overbuilt parts suitable for cliff hucks?

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
You guys realize that a number of Marzocchi forks are now manufactured by SR Suntour, right? They've made huge leaps in technology, but the bottom line is that they're still cheap and unreliable forks.
What! I have never heard that before in this very thread :rolleyes:
lebikerboy said:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.