Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info on squirrel gap trail. The book describes it with alot of single track. what type of single track, rocky, steep up and downs or rolling hills? And i noticed that there is other trails which connects and make this one trail any other key routes?

Mort

·
Boom Yow!
84 Posts
Definitely a great trail, but as already mentioned don't go it alone. First time I rode it I blew out a sidewall halfway through. One of the guys I was riding with was able to fix it for me with a Clif bar rapper. I ride an awesome loop starting from Turkeypen parking area that includes this section as well as S. Mills river. Mullinax Gap, Bukhorn, Blk Mtn then back on Turkeypen. Approx 4-1/2 to 5 hour ride for me.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
It is one of my favorite Pisgah trails so far. I've ridden it solo and with a buddy and had a blast both times. The trail never seems too steep or overly technical and has a great flow to it. It is very isolated and it is unlikely you will see too many others on the trail so make sure you bring everything you may need with you. And there are no bail outs so be prepared to go to the distance. It appeared that a lot of the downed trees have been cleared so it flows a lot better now.

Here's a crappy pic taken on it:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gap

Yo

I rode there this morning. Frosty like a beer mug. Rainy days left a few new trees down up near the Mullinax/SG intersection. The piece has always been a bit routed out.Section in need of some trail love before 2006.

Lots to ride and see in Turkey Pen. Lots more if you are not a *****. Great place for a weekend camping/group gathering thing. Rumor has it that an "event" will be taking place there in May of 2006.

·
suspension wrench
194 Posts
I was there this afternoon...

trlrnr said:
Yo

I rode there this morning. Frosty like a beer mug. Rainy days left a few new trees down up near the Mullinax/SG intersection. The piece has always been a bit routed out.Section in need of some trail love before 2006.

Lots to ride and see in Turkey Pen. Lots more if you are not a *****. Great place for a weekend camping/group gathering thing. Rumor has it that an "event" will be taking place there in May of 2006.
I saw your tracks. I went TP trailhead to Mullinax to Squirrel to Cantrell Creek intersection, then turned around and went back the same way. Never saw the trees down where you mentioned. I did see some hunters camping right there, though, (cold nights!!) maybe they cleaned them up.
Don't you just love crunchy mud.

-mike

Attachments

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
When visiting last Christmas, we parked at a gated fire road access on Road 476 between Road 1206 and Thompson Creek. I think the gated fireroad's number was 5018? We climbed 5018 (more like doubletrack than any type of "road") to the left branch of Horse Cove Gap...took that to Squirrel Gap, which was an awesome gravity rush in this direction (BTW..we had two newbie-ish riders and they faired very well, only walked two short sections). Once at the bottom, we crossed a large suspension bridge and hung a right to climb up South Mills River Trail?? to Grassy Ridge (coming close to Buckhorn Gap at the summit) then jetted down the other side of South Mills River Trail, popping out at the end of Road 476 and cooled down riding back to the car.

It was an awesome ride!!! We passed some strange shelter type thing on South Mills about half way up....just kept right on pedalling..never know who you'll run into out there...another reason to not be this far out alone.

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
fireboy said:
It was an awesome ride!!! We passed some strange shelter type thing on South Mills about half way up....just kept right on pedalling..never know who you'll run into out there...another reason to not be this far out alone.
I was there yesterday and that shelter is shaaaady. Seriously weird thing to find out in the woods.

For those interested, I rode up 5018 to horse cove to squirrel gap to S. Mills as described above. There were a solid amount of trees down, but it wasn't too bad. They're annoying, but thats such an amazing trail. Most of the descent on squirrel gap is so tight that there is brush hitting your arms and handlebars. I was glad i wore a windbreaker. Somewhat Icey and snowy in spots, but overall much drier than I anticipated.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
That weird shelter's still there, eh?? We passed it a year ago....they had a garden hose run to the "tent" from the creek. It was basically a bunch of tarps...even had a wood burner in it! Nobody was home, thank god, when we went by there...lots of canned goods....old lanterns..and yeah....really shady!! I don't have pics of it...but I'll check with my other ride mates and see if someone took one...we pretty much just wanted to get the hell outta there... but here's a pic of Shelley Belley riding the squirrel...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.