Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday took the Mariachi over to introduce it to my all-time favorite trail... yeah they got along... though i left some skin and paint behind on the trail (gasp i scratched the new baby, couple of good ones to, along the bottom.)

Major props to the SORBA trail crew, big improvements made on the off camber sections up near Laurel Creek, totally dig the rock armouring on the stream crossing, a lot of fun.

i had a "pucker factor 3" moment , going up hill even! i dabbed on a rock / root combo, tried to get a foot down and fall into the slope, survey says? XXX (add buzzer sound) , fell down a steep ass section of hill side, rolled end over and over end about 25-30 feet down. it was an interesting climb back up to the trail. :eek: had to kick into the hill side to get some steps going up. luckily the bike didn't go the whole distance.

met some nice folks from hendersonville and rode with them for a while, great day for a ride. :thumbsup:

some photos from the days ride.

Great day of riding!

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
hey it's DAVE!!!

I'm upset he didn't bring his purdy riding partner (the one in blue..duh) when we rode Dupont in October!!! :nono:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very nice photo's from one of my favorite trails. How long have you been ss'ing Pisgah? I'm committing to riding the Sir 9 up there this year, but I think the only way I'm going to to get up the nerve is to leave the Titus in Apex and "just do it." What gear do you run when in the mountains Brado1?
c

·
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
carter1 said:
Very nice photo's from one of my favorite trails. How long have you been ss'ing Pisgah?
about 2 and half years on and off

carter1 said:
What gear do you run when in the mountains Brado1?
c
34/22 wish it were 32/22 sometimes, but pain and suffering will hopefully pay off

Endomaniac said:
Dang, that's allot of armor those cats have just to ride Squirl Gap.
actually i think they were wearing only to protect from the thorns and briars, and looking at my legs and forearms todays i kinda wish i had worn some too.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
fb:
hey it's DAVE!!!

Dave needs all the "protection" he can get! ;) That guy on the orange bike geeze, what a tag-a-long slacker. Haven't seen him in Bent Creek for years. Glad he moved on.

I am also glad you had someone to follow you up the hills Brad.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
33X20, going to switch it up to a 21 in the back for the off season. Then I'll flip it to a 16 when I ride in the flat lands.

ssing in pisgah = good.

:thumbsup:

nice pics brado!

·
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lumbee1 said:
Brado, what camera are you using now? I know you had a Canon SD series before and upgraded to DSLR. How has the transition been to a larger, heavier camera?
Nikon D80 is the cam i use now, it's a little more cumbersome than the point and shoot that i had, another drawback is it's not as easy to get out for a super quick shot of something, also can't ride and shoot like before.

not too bad to carry around, i've got a nice lowepro SLR case that i caribiner clip'd to the the front hoops on the camelbak straps. kinda look like a Sherpa on an Everest expedition

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
brado1 said:
Nikon D80 is the cam i use now, it's a little more cumbersome than the point and shoot that i had, another drawback is it's not as easy to get out for a super quick shot of something, also can't ride and shoot like before.

not too bad to carry around, i've got a nice lowepro SLR case that i caribiner clip'd to the the front hoops on the camelbak straps. kinda look like a Sherpa on an Everest expedition
Just remember if a Tibetan sherpa falls like you did, they die. I take it your camera passed it's first BradOrollover down the hill. :cool:

BTW, I was wrong the other day. SD600 is the model I got.

·
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
extrmtao said:
Just remember if a Tibetan sherpa falls like you did, they die. I take it your camera passed it's first BradOrollover down the hill. :cool:
QUOTE]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: passed with flying colors! :p that pack is pretty padded. plus it was one of those tuck and roll manuevers , just kept rollin' .... yeah i've got to watch what i post now, wife got word that i crashed with the cam, :eek: :D :eek: me: crash? what crash? ;)

sorry missed you guys last night, don't know if you got my message, kid home from school yesterday, no way to get out in time.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
brado1 said:
Major props to the SORBA trail crew, big improvements made on the off camber sections up near Laurel Creek, totally dig the rock armouring on the stream crossing, a lot of fun.
FYI the SORBA trail crew is inviting everybody to come join us and help pitch in on the maintenance of Squirrel Gap Trail. We will be meeting in the Turkey Pen Parking lot on 1/28/07 at 1:00am For more info about this and other Pisgah Area SORBA events check us out at http://pisgahareasorba.org/

Brad: I had a roll like that off Squirrel Gap. First time I rode it I was solo and got a bit mixed up on one of the many rooty off camber sections. Tried to put my foot down but there was no place for my foot to touch down on the cliff side of the trail. Tipped over and did like 3 full rolls down the hillside with the bike. I got lucky that everything was soft moss and rotten stumps. But it sure shook me up and actualy turned me off to riding squirrel gap for quite a while. Only recently have I really come to enjoy this trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.