Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Orbea just made an entry into the 3-position lockouts.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/accessories/cat/oc-squidlock-dropper-remote

Given that the front and rear of my Oiz are Fox, I suppose it's possible that the mid-position is legitimate? Not sure I'm quite as excited about the integrated dropper lever, but assuming the ergo is good, it could be cool. Does anyone have any experience with this yet?

·
Registered
429 Posts
ditto the question, and they do offer it without the dropper lever.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/accessories/cat/oc-squidlock

as I just got my oiz 2 weeks ago hurts a bit to see this, but if the squidlock will work with the existing fork/shock it'd be worth the upgrade. And they lowered the price with better components imo. Ouch!

·
Registered
429 Posts
sent a note to Orbea support today to see if would work with the '19 OIZ and have the 3 way functionality. Really hope so.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sent a note to Orbea support today to see if would work with the '19 OIZ and have the 3 way functionality. Really hope so.
FWIW, I found out about this because Orbea sent me an email saying it was compatible with my ('19 XC Oiz). Well, at least the ad says this:

You aim for the top, whether that is the top of the podium or the top of the mountain, you want to get there as quickly and efficiently as you can. In order to give you every benefit, we have introduced the Squidlock lock a new three-position lockout lever compatible with your Oiz.​

Whether that's a properly targeted email is another question. Hopefully they say it's compatible!

·
Registered
153 Posts
FWIW, I found out about this because Orbea sent me an email saying it was compatible with my ('19 XC Oiz). Well, at least the ad says this:...
Whether that's a properly targeted email is another question. Hopefully they say it's compatible!
My thought when I read the email was: "Wow, a company actually using registration data to target me correctly, that's a first".

I have already asked my LBS to order me a non-dropper squidlock.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,420 Posts
The current fox shock on the OIZ is on or off.

If you look on Orbea's website the 2020 frameset comes with a new shock.

I had an old style 3 position remote on my Oiz and it did nothing in the middle setting. I just liked it better then the newer plastic version.

Now I have a McLeod shock on the bike with 4 settings so the remote only controls the fork.

·
Registered
429 Posts

I had an old style 3 position remote on my Oiz and it did nothing in the middle setting. I just liked it better then the newer plastic version.

Now I have a McLeod shock on the bike with 4 settings so the remote only controls the fork.
I didn't see anything on the 2020 site indicating that the shock is different but may've missed it. I fear you're right and hope you're wrong.....

·
Registered
813 Posts

I've poked around on the website, but can't seem to find details on the new shock? The description seems to be the same as the 2019 models:

FOX I-LINE DPS FACTORY REMOTE PUSH-UNLOCK EVOL KASHIMA CUSTOM TUNE190X40MM

Typically, I have seen text like "3 position adjust", etc.

The website text on the new Squidlock says "...Additionally, Squidlock is compatible with any bike that is already fitted with a remote lockout and 3-position suspension..."

Seems like they would come out and say the new 2020 includes 3 position shock/fork to take advantage of it, or something like that?

Dan

·
Registered
813 Posts
I didn't see anything on the 2020 site indicating that the shock is different but may've missed it. I fear you're right and hope you're wrong.....
Same here. I was a click away from pulling the trigger on a 2019 this weekend, but for some reason just didn't. I just couldn't get along with the factory colors, and they were sold out on MyO.

But now that the 2020 has the black...:rockon:

Regardless, from a technical perspective, the only thing I can find is that the descriptions now include the term "FIBERLINK", for the linkage.

I can't tell if this is different, or just an additional term added:

2019: Orbea Oiz Carbon OMR 2019 Boost PF Taper UFO2 I-Line
2020: Orbea Oiz Carbon OMR 2019 FiberLink Boost PF Taper UFO2 I-Line

·
Registered
813 Posts
ditto the question, and they do offer it without the dropper lever.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/accessories/cat/oc-squidlock

as I just got my oiz 2 weeks ago hurts a bit to see this, but if the squidlock will work with the existing fork/shock it'd be worth the upgrade. And they lowered the price with better components imo. Ouch!
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/gear/accessories/cat

Only difference is the version "with lockout lever" is the lever itself is integrated with the top clamp. Exactly how I would expect it to be designed, so that the main body is shared, where most of the engineering/cost is present.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just heard back from Orbea and they said it will work and support the middle setting. He confirmed that my '19 will work. The rep at Orbea is a rider and knows such details so inclined to believe this will work out. Said it may be a month until they're available to us.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just got this response from Orbea (10 minutes after I asked!):

"The term Fiberlink was used in some of the 2019 Oiz frame descriptions, so it's not totally new.

If you add a dropper post to the 100mm Oiz, you'll want to buy the Squidlock/dropper lever version. The Squidlock is not up-gradable.
The rear shock is still a Fox DPS 3-position shock like it was in 2019.

We've just added the Squidlock lever to take advantage of the middle compression setting of the shock".

The only bummer is that I get a 2020 100mm version, and want to put on a dropper (which I will), I'll have to also buy another complete Squidlock+dropper version, leaving me with an un-useable Squidlock.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just got this response from Orbea (10 minutes after I asked!):
…...

The only bummer is that I get a 2020 100mm version, and want to put on a dropper (which I will), I'll have to also buy another complete Squidlock+dropper version, leaving me with an un-useable Squidlock.
I want the squidlock without the integrated lever and no doubt others will too. If you do order the bike and you get it before they sell it aftermarket, I'll take it off your hands.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I want the squidlock without the integrated lever and no doubt others will too. If you do order the bike and you get it before they sell it aftermarket, I'll take it off your hands.
Will do!

BTW, Orbea said the 2020 are still 2-position fork.

So...that means 2-position fork, 3-position shock.

I really wish I could figured out exactly what lever does what on the Squidlock? It's kind of vague right now.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Will do!

BTW, Orbea said the 2020 are still 2-position fork.

So...that means 2-position fork, 3-position shock.

I really wish I could figured out exactly what lever does what on the Squidlock? It's kind of vague right now.
interesting about the fork. Hopefully when the shock is on mid setting the fork is still open. At least for me, that'd be my preference. Full lock for the rare uphill sprint or smooth fireroad, but otherwise want both ends of the bike absorbing some bumps.

And if you do get a dropper aftermarket, it'll probably come with a lever so you may not need to get the integrated deal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't tell if this is different, or just an additional term added:

2019: Orbea Oiz Carbon OMR 2019 Boost PF Taper UFO2 I-Line
2020: Orbea Oiz Carbon OMR 2019 FiberLink Boost PF Taper UFO2 I-Line
I find it a little amusing that attention is being paid to the addition of the word FiberLink but not to the fact that the 2020 OMR bikes still explicitly state that they use the 2019 frame.

Unless that's a typo on their site it's a pretty strong tell that the frame and shock are exactly the same as 2019 since they are straight up saying 'this is the 2019'.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,420 Posts
The rear shock is still a Fox DPS 3-position shock like it was in 2019.

We've just added the Squidlock lever to take advantage of the middle compression setting of the shock".
I have a 2019 OIZ and the shock is not a "3" position shock. It is either ON or OFF.

In fact, the only 3 position shock Fox sells does not have a remote.

Seems like Orbea has their facts mixed up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I find it a little amusing that attention is being paid to the addition of the word FiberLink but not to the fact that the 2020 OMR bikes still explicitly state that they use the 2019 frame...
I think you are right.

Last year they only had the "Oiz OMR with FiberLink" frame, so I think the only reason they added the word FiberLink was to differentiate the M10 and above frames from the "Oiz OMR with AlloyLink" for the M20 and below carbon bikes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2019 OIZ and the shock is not a "3" position shock. It is either ON or OFF.

In fact, the only 3 position shock Fox sells does not have a remote.

Seems like Orbea has their facts mixed up.
Actually, I think you do. Fox doesn't have a 3 position remote, but the shock bodies are the same between 3pos and remote. I've done the conversion before on a different bike.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,420 Posts
Actually, I think you do. Fox doesn't have a 3 position remote, but the shock bodies are the same between 3pos and remote. I've done the conversion before on a different bike.
Fox does have a 3 position remote although it isn't in production anymore. They are the metal ones with the silver and black tabs and work in an vertical fashion.

I have 4 of them laying around my shop.

I've installed them on my Blur, and my OIZ and it does nothing but keep the shock open. It does not firm the shock up like a proper 3 position manual DPS would in the trail setting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.