Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Squeaky Flux

I received my new Flux front triangle from Turner. I had my LBS put the old rear triangle on the new front triangle and swap over all the parts. I am now having trouble with this pinging squeaky noise. It is very noticeable when I simultaneously pull up on the handle bars and apply pressure to the crank - similar motion to "popping a wheeling". I also notice this sound when I am on steep climbs. I had my LBS take a look a the bike and they cannot determine what is causing the noise. Has anybody else had to deal with a similar problem?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MK_ said:
I remember a while ago I had the most anoying sqeak I couldn't locate. It would come to life on climbs and tech moves. I eventually pin pointed my head set spacers. Cleaned them and greased them a little and it went away. There's little to squeak on the frame. One other place would be the Horst Link, you may want to take it apart, lube it, and put it back together. I would say the spacer ought to be the first thing to check as the dirt, during rebuild, could have gotten between them.

_MK
Thanks MK . . . I will check out the headset spacers.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
JTBAZ said:
I received my new Flux front triangle from Turner. I had my LBS put the old rear triangle on the new front triangle and swap over all the parts. I am now having trouble with this pinging squeaky noise. It is very noticeable when I simultaneously pull up on the handle bars and apply pressure to the crank - similar motion to "popping a wheeling". I also notice this sound when I am on steep climbs. I had my LBS take a look a the bike and they cannot determine what is causing the noise. Has anybody else had to deal with a similar problem?
I remember a while ago I had the most anoying sqeak I couldn't locate. It would come to life on climbs and tech moves. I eventually pin pointed my head set spacers. Cleaned them and greased them a little and it went away. There's little to squeak on the frame. One other place would be the Horst Link, you may want to take it apart, lube it, and put it back together. I would say the spacer ought to be the first thing to check as the dirt, during rebuild, could have gotten between them.

_MK

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Over the last several months I've had several annoying noises to deal with. Most of the noises occured while climbing. The one you described is similar to the two I had this past week (for me creaking and pinging simultaneously).

The first source of noise was a plastic ferrule on a piece of housing at the cable guide near the head tube. A drop of Tri-Flow cleared up that noise. The second noise turned out to be more serious and considerably more inconvenient because its either the stanchions or steerer where they are pressed into the crown on my '05 Fox TALAS. The fork goes back to Fox next week--with one week left on the warranty.

If the problem is not an HL, the crankset, seat tube, seat rails, cassette, a ferrule or a headset spacer check your fork (take the wheel out, turn the bike upside down, stand on the grips, and twist/pull/push on the fork legs to check).

Good luck.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clyde S Dale said:
Over the last several months I've had several annoying noises to deal with. Most of the noises occured while climbing. The one you described is similar to the two I had this past week (for me creaking and pinging simultaneously).

The first source of noise was a plastic ferrule on a piece of housing at the cable guide near the head tube. A drop of Tri-Flow cleared up that noise. The second noise turned out to be more serious and considerably more inconvenient because its either the stanchions or steerer where they are pressed into the crown on my '05 Fox TALAS. The fork goes back to Fox next week--with one week left on the warranty.

If the problem is not an HL, the crankset, seat tube, seat rails, cassette, a ferrule or a headset spacer check your fork (take the wheel out, turn the bike upside down, stand on the grips, and twist/pull/push on the fork legs to check).

Good luck.
Thanks for your help. I have an 05 TALAS I will have to check that out. I have checked the seat tube, seat rails, headset spacers (I just did that), the cassette, the crank. It sounds like the noise is isolated by the shock or rockers but I can't tell for sure - it is very annoying. What is interesting is that I did not have this noise on my old Flux but now it on my new Flux.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
no noise before the new tri? sure sounds to me like it must have somethin to do with the new build up so id tend to blow off the fork, cassette, h/l and other bits they didnt mess with and concentrate on things that may have not been properly prepped and installed such as the h/set and b/bkt. ya may wanna ask them if everything was slathered in grease prior to install. perhaps ask for the top dog wrench and stay away from the new guy. if its a half decent shop they should redo all this for ya till the prob is solved right away at no charge. the h/set spacer idea is a good one though and a simple home fix. mk is the fm if his guess is right.

·
12,942 Posts
i didnt see yer last post when i did mine. now ya got me wonderin if the regreased the pivots and re locktited all the h/ware. its worth a shot. no pun intended.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cactuscorn said:
no noise before the new tri? sure sounds to me like it must have somethin to do with the new build up so id tend to blow off the fork, cassette, h/l and other bits they didnt mess with and concentrate on things that may have not been properly prepped and installed such as the h/set and b/bkt. ya may wanna ask them if everything was slathered in grease prior to install. perhaps ask for the top dog wrench and stay away from the new guy. if its a half decent shop they should redo all this for ya till the prob is solved right away at no charge. the h/set spacer idea is a good one though and a simple home fix. mk is the fm if his guess is right.
Thanks CC . . . I cleaned the headset spacers but I still have the noise. Back to the
drawing board. I am probably going to have to bring it back to my LBS . . Is there anything that must be specifically done when putting together the front and rear triangle? I re-torqued the pivot bolts to ensure proper torque but I still have the noise. It is driving me crazy.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
The only major thing that needs to be done when reassembling the pivots and rear end is to make sure all of the pivots have a full load of grease, and are clean.

There's also a small chance that the reducers and bushings in your shock eyelets are squeeking. I've only ever seen this once in 6 years as a wrench, but it's one of those things it doesn't hurt to check.

Hope this helps a bit.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Clyde S Dale said:
The second noise turned out to be more serious and considerably more inconvenient because its either the stanchions or steerer where they are pressed into the crown on my '05 Fox TALAS. The fork goes back to Fox next week--with one week left on the warranty.
Clyde, if your monniker is an indication of your weight, you'll be fighting this with Fox forks until you finally give up. I go 195, and went through the same thing as you. In less than 15 months, Fox replaced the steerer tube/crown/stanchion assembly three times on my TALAS. Done with that. The 04 Sherman Firefly remains silent to this day -- but has had a few easily remedied damper issues.

As far as the squeaky Flux, don't forget to retorque the BB and crank arms after the first few rides -- others have covered everything else.

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
Check your cable housing ferrules. If they're metal, they could be the culprit (at least they were on my spot). Switched to plastic ferrules = no more squeek. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clyde S Dale said:

Good luck.
CSD - Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I think the problem is my TALAS. I think the nasty noise is coming from the stanctions and or Steerer. The other thing I noticed was that the star not is slightly off - it is not perfectly straight, maybe that is the problem. I will not be happy if it is the fork. It has less than 300 miles . . .

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I don't think it is the fork making the noise. I was riding my Flux in my drive way to determine where the noise was coming and I saw a bolt head on the driveway. I picked it up and it was part of the bolt to the lower pivot on the non-drivetrain side by the bottom bracket. The bolt had sheared off! Not good - I am guessing this is where the noise is coming from on the bike. This is getting frustrating . . . I just want to ride the bike.

·
12,942 Posts
monday morning..... "hello, turner? a new set of h/ware please. yeah, my ham fisted lbs destroyed mine but the biggest failure was them not mentioning it to me." how the hell do you scew up a bolt so bad that it begins to shear in half then think the friggin custy wont notice it? i recentlyhad a employee sorta leave the shop permenantly for a similar half assed move. incredible. sorry ya had this happen but im sure glad its all but over now baz. good work on yer part finding the impeeding beasty. still wonderin how it was missed durring the torque prosses though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cactuscorn said:
monday morning..... "hello, turner? a new set of h/ware please. yeah, my ham fisted lbs destroyed mine but the biggest failure was them not mentioning it to me." how the hell do you scew up a bolt so bad that it begins to shear in half then think the friggin custy wont notice it? i recentlyhad a employee sorta leave the shop permenantly for a similar half assed move. incredible. sorry ya had this happen but im sure glad its all but over now baz. good work on yer part finding the impeeding beasty. still wonderin how it was missed durring the torque prosses though.
I checked the torque and it was dead on. My LBS built my 5 Spot and my original Flux and they did a really good job . . no issues. Maybe just a bad bolt? An alignment issue with the new front triangle and old rear triangle?

·
12,942 Posts
anythings possible baz. still sounds fishy to me though. with lots of hands on it, its hard to say where the issue came from so i might let the lbs off the hook on this one. just glad ya found the prob. parts should be in yer hand by mid week if ya get em ordered first thing mon am. turners cool like that. might wanna dbl check yer torque spec:

17 ft/lb or 23 n/m for the main pivot
9 ft/lb or 12.5 n/m for all the others

http://www.turnerbikes.com/Maint/Assembly.html

peas owt!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cactuscorn said:
anythings possible baz. still sounds fishy to me though. with lots of hands on it, its hard to say where the issue came from so i might let the lbs off the hook on this one. just glad ya found the prob. parts should be in yer hand by mid week if ya get em ordered first thing mon am. turners cool like that. might wanna dbl check yer torque spec:

17 ft/lb or 23 n/m for the main pivot
9 ft/lb or 12.5 n/m for all the others

http://www.turnerbikes.com/Maint/Assembly.html

peas owt!
Yep . . 17 ft/lb for the main pivot and 9 ft/lb for the others. I will give Turner a call next week - thank god they have phenomenal customer service. CC thanks for your help!

·
12,942 Posts
cool. glad to be of service. thats what its all about here. been on yer side plenty of times myself and its great how folks pitch in to help us all out. just remember yer now obligated to do the same. happy new year baz. 2 1/2 hours to go!

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Clyde S Dale said:

Good luck.
my 05 talas is doing that too.
:mad:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.