Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 29r w/ avid BB5's, the brakes f&r squeaked, so I thought no biggie, I buy new pads. So I put the pads on and they seemed fine at first, but a week later they started squeaking again...wtf. Can someone tell me why there squeaking again?

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
What rotors are you using? BB5's with Roundagon rotors are notorious for that noise, also referred to as the "Avid Turkey Gobble". Other calipers don't seem to have issues. Not sure why. I got new rotors for my BB5's and they are silent.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No offense to anyone running 5's, but I hated mine. Couldn't get them to stop squealing. New pads, lightly sanded rotors,then cleaned with alcohol. They were quiet for a few days then squeal city again, and they never did stop worth a darn. My suggestion is don't throw good money after bad. Get yourself a good set of hydro's.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I never really had a problem with the squealing. For stopping power, you have to adjust them correctly, which has been described before (search for it). Basically, the caliper only has power at the bottom of the stroke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.