Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
the Jerc
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have that dreaded squeek coming from my front hub. I've read the posts about lubing the rubber gaskey but how do I get the cap off? Should I just dump or spray some lube in there?
Thanks,
Hector:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my case on a 07 Prophet I unscrew the allen bolt which also pulls the cap out and then pushed the allen bolt out of the cap. The oring was between the allen bolt head and the cap and was in pretty bad shape, no grease at all. New oring from the hardware store, a little grease and nop squeek or drag.

·
Registered
246 Posts
First off, make sure the squeek is coming from the hub and not disc rotor rub. I've been running a lefty for 3.5 years and have never greased the lock-bolt washer.
How old is your hub? The bearings might need some grease, which can be easily accomplished on the inner/larger bearing by pulling the wheel off, taking off the rotor, gently prying off the black ringed bearing grease seal and pushing some fresh grease into the bearings.
If, for some reason, the squeek is from within the hub, be aware that the outer cap has reverse threads=righty loosey- lefty tighty. Also, there is a very low torque for the outer cap of 3.4 Nm. In other words, basic hand-tightness. Once you've removed this, go ahead and check the grease situation of the outer/smaller bearing.
I've found that some sealed bearing cartridge manufacturers have been very sparse on the quantity of factory greasing. You want to pack the things with high quality bicycle grease, preferably with teflon.
Also be sure to clean off and lightly re-lube the lefty fork spindle before re-installing the wheel. The problem may be originating here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No, not the brakes

I thought it was the brakes also and adjusted them. The hub was still too tight so I pulled the wheel off to look at the bearings, they spun smooth. I did not even think of the bolt until I stuck the wrench in it to put it back together. The bolt pushed out and I could see flecks of rubber. The oring was basicly burned and frayed. With the new oring and some grease it spun freely and no noise while riding.
The bike was new, only 46 miles on it.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.