Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Trek 4300 about 2yrs ago and I have not been able to ride it as much as I'd like. It's not a high-end bike but works great as often as I use it. I like single-track and cross-country type riding but I also ride paved trails with my 9yr old son.

The factory disc brakes have always squealed just before locking-up when heavy pressure is applied.

A) Is this normal
B) If no, how do I stop it
C) Is there no other option beside brake upgrades?

I like the bike, I like the disc brakes. It's embarrasing when you are desending a long grade on a paved trail and you are trying to control your speed with squealing brakes that people can hear for at least a few hundred yards.:rolleyes:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Before you look at a new option, you should try to adjust the caliper to see if that helps. If not, sometimes sanding the rotor with very fine grit metal sandpaper like 300 grit can help. You may have to try a couple different grits. Doesn't cost much for sandpaper and worth a try. Locking up your brakes is not a good thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, very common problem. Thanks for the info. I'll give the FAQ a try and see if that helps. I'm guessing the iso alcohol will probably help. Seems like I saw a film on the rotors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.