Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a squeaky Spark? Everytime I load up the cranks to push a gear, I get a slight squeak. Initially, it started with a loose skewer, but I tightened that. In fact, everything is tightened to spec. Now, I am at a loss.

As an FYI, it is stock except I am running XTR cranks and cassette, DT 190 CL hubs laced with CX-Rays and 4.2Ds.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Visicypher said:
Does anyone else have a squeaky Spark? Everytime I load up the cranks to push a gear, I get a slight squeak. Initially, it started with a loose skewer, but I tightened that. In fact, everything is tightened to spec. Now, I am at a loss.

As an FYI, it is stock except I am running XTR cranks and cassette, DT 190 CL hubs laced with CX-Rays and 4.2Ds.
You mean when you change gear and then start to put the power down you get a squeak. I would check everything again and at the same time put a little drop of oil on the bolts, QR, pivots and stuff.

What brakes are you using? I've got a very similar problem with the hub moving under power causing the brakes to squeak but somehow now I've worked out what it is it doesn't annoy me anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It squeaks under the load from climbing. No squeaks from shifting gears...if I am spinning it easy. It squeaks no matter what gear you use...as long as your are applying enough load.

As for the brakes, they don't make a peep under load from climbing or sprinting. I will check the pivots, BB, and QR again.

Stuff like this makes me really appreciate my rigid bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
check the shock bolts

Mine squeaked too until I removed the shock bolts and one was slightly bent. When I replace it the squeak went away. Also check the torque settings on all of the linkage bolts as that will cause it to squeak as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Spark 30. After I had ridden it a dozen or so times and raced it maybe three times, I got an incredibly loud squeak while I was warming up for a race. It sounded like it was coming from the front fork, but it turned out it was coming from the rear shock or one of the shock links. It went away during the race. Came back the next time I rode, but went away again, so maybe it was just some kind of weird break-in thing or humidity or something. I would give it another couple of races or rides before I do anything drastic like rebuilding the shock or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.