Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...

I been riding my new Turner 5 spot for a few months now and started to notice the BB/Crankset seems to be squeking. It doesn't feel like there is resistence and the bike is running great, but I wanted to make sure this isn't screwing up the BB? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
:thumbsup:

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
wasted Truvativ bb again!

I had the same problem on my 2006 Jamis XLT this past summer with 80 miles on it. No matter what I tried I couldn't stop the squeak so I took it to the dealer and when he tried to remove the crank (drive side) he found the plastic tube inside the bottom bracket to be cracked, split and basically junk. Sram said they knew of the problems with the Giga-X bottom brackets and they sent my dealer a new one, which he installed and everything was fine. Three weeks ago it started creaking really bad while my wife and I were riding in City Park. I tried to remove the drive side cranks to grease everything and it wouldn't budge, back to the dealer. At 166 miles, it seems that the "permanent" press of the crank arm onto the axle was loose and a couple of the splines were even chipped. So far we've had no response from Jamis or Sram in order to get a replacement crankset so I just had the LBS order and install a Shimano LX set with bottom bracket, can't wait to get the bike back this weekend, maybe it will finally be trust worthy. My LBS tells me that Truvativ/Sram is very slow and very difficult to acquire warranty replacement parts from these days.

·
Registered
857 Posts
All you can do is take it apart and look for damage or find where the bearing puked up the grease.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
No problem...

5spot -
I have the same set up on my 5-Spot and I couldn't be happier. It really shouldn't be an issue getting another GXP BB from SRAM if it's necessary but you should make sure you need it first.

I'd just take everything off, re-grease, and re-install. Make sure to torque the non-drive bolt to 35 ft/lbs and you shouldn't have any problems.

But if you do, SRAM has exceptional customer service. Despite what Beemer's crackhead mechanic says, SRAM is not difficult to deal with as long as you go through a shop. They are not "slow" or "difficult". I speak from experience.

You can always call them - 312-664-8800 (off their website)

Good luck

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
loose axle shaft

My big problem this time is not just the bottom bracket but the drive side crank and rings are loose on the "permanently" pressed axle. Heck, I could fix the bottom bracket if that was all that was wrong. I am going to give Sram a call myself and see what they tell me.

Thanks

G

·
Beemer,
I had a truvativ road crank do the same thing last month and called sram myself first. They are very good to deal with over the phone, and told me that they were sorry about ten times during the call. You will have to go through a shop to get a replacement crankset but in my situation we had the new cranks in 3 days! Now this is considering that I only live about 6.5 hours southeast of chicago, but still sram customer service is really good.

Go back to your shop and tell them to call sram and have them explain exactly whats happened to your cranks and they should send out new ones to your shop asap. Sram doesn't even ask for the old ones back, they have the shop dispose of them. So if your shop is even halfway cool you might get the rings off the old ones hopefully.
Hope this helps,
Brien.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How-to?

Does anyone have a link that can show how to remove these? Sorry to hijack thread - I've got the same problem with my Stylos and I'm a Newb - so don't want to screw things up too badly. Thanks for any replies.

MdB.;)

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Still problems with "crackhead" LBS

Well I believe my LBS is correctly named "crack head". I had no trouble reaching someone at Sram concerning my crankset and typically my LBS should have had me a new one within three days. But in a week he had my new LX crankset installed and told me that "Sram wanted to send him a repaired bearing and crank assembly and that he thought that was crap". Obviously, he didn't even call them. I have insisted on a replacement (to offset the money I spent on the LX replacement) and he keeps stalling. The only good thing to evolve is my new Shimano LX crankset, I absolutely love it, much smoother and more solid feeling than the OE Truvativ. By the way, the Truvativ crankset should actually come out of the bike very easily, remove the left side crank, remove the chain, tap on the axle from left to right and it should come right out, with a guiding hand. The problem they have been having (twice on my crankset and confirmed by Scram tech) is the plastic sleeve between the bearings is coming apart and making shaft removal almost impossible without destroying the bottom bracket, they think they have the problem resolved now. I'll know if I ever get my replacement assembly from my LBS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the help Beemer2. my biggest problem is a very slight squeek. Everything seems nice and tight, and since the bearings are sealed, I don't really understand where it could be coming from....I guess I'll just have to take it apart and see.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
could be a rubber seal

mdbradigan said:
Thanks for the help Beemer2. my biggest problem is a very slight squeek. Everything seems nice and tight, and since the bearings are sealed, I don't really understand where it could be coming from....I guess I'll just have to take it apart and see.
The squeeking could possibly be coming simply from a tight seal on the BB rubbing a bit. I had that happen on a front hub once... it was very annoying, but a little bit of grease under the lip of the seal fixed it.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have a yeti 575 with the oem stylo cranks with the squeak.
i pulled the crank arms off recently and put some grease in there hoping that the squeak would go away. pulled off, cleaned and greased the pedals too w/no luck.
should i have a mechanic replace the either the bottom bracket and or the cranks? i don't think i have the tool for the bb removal, plus my thresh hold for bike repair is really low.

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
If you can't easily remove the drive side crank with the axle, which is what you would have to do, then you need to take it to the LBS to pull and check. Although customer service is good at Sram, they are back logged on these bottom brackets according to what they told my LBS last week. I am still waiting on a replacement crankset and bottom bracket, it's now been two weeks. I am still happy though, because I had the LBS install a new Shimano LX crankset and bottom bracket, I'm now in love all over again.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
Beem...

Beemer - when will you learn man?
Go into your shop before your mechanic smokes crack, not after.
SRAM most certainly has GXP BBs in stock. I really think you need to call them yourself instead of having the shop call but that's entirely up to you.
I just hope that your shop isn't stalling to sell you another crankset.
Once again, SRAM absolutely, positively has GXP BBs.
And they'll warranty (give you) it for free!!!
If your in the United States, you shouldn't have any problems.
Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
I went into my LBS and had him install a LX crankset and bottom bracket, I did not want the Truvativ crankset back in, I had already had the bottom bracket disintegrate at 60 miles and at 166 miles as well as the drive side crank come loose on the axle. I also confirmed by phone with Sram customer service the problems they had had with the GXP bottom brackets for 2006 and I was told that they felt that those problems had been worked out. Their rep on the phone told me that typically they will send out a replacement crankset to an LBS without requiring the defective one be sent to them first, reducing the delivery time to typically three or four days for the LBS to receive the replacement. They sent me, through my LBS, a "repaired" crankset and bottom bracket (which had a new plastic sleeve and bearings on it). This crankset had more wear on it than mine would have had in three hundred miles of my sixty year old ass riding the bike. It was unacceptable and I am now awaiting a new crankset and bottom bracket as soon as available, Sram said they sent the first set as a "fix" job so that I would have use of the bike while I waited for the new components. While I appreciate the jesture, I live 70 miles from the LBS and have made three trips to see them since I bought this bike with this crankset and am not interested in wasting more gas or time on an inferior product. My plan is to install the crankset and bottom bracket on my flat bar road bike when I do get them, where they won't be subjected to quite as hard of service. I do believe the Shimano LX is much smoother and efficient than the model Truvativ crankset I have but I do however love the Sram drive trains and have ordered a new XO rear derailluer and XO shifters to go along with my new 990 cassette. I have X7 derailluers and shifters on my road bike with a 970 cassette and I feel that the crankset with the GXP bottom bracket will be an upgrade. I do agree with you on one thing, and that is the incompetence that I've seen displayed by my LBS or soon to be, ex-LBS. New Orleans is now reopened and I plan to shift my business back to a local dealer, even though he doesn't handle Jamis, he has a great service department and customer service reputation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fixed It!

Finally fixed the problem with the cranky cranks.. It turned out my bottomr bracket was a little loose and I just needed the tool to tighten it. Hope that helps anyone.

Peace out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.