Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Performance Elite DPX2 on my Druid is squeaking. Not a metallic squeak, but a rubber squeak. It squeaks super quickly as I am going over all but the smoothest terrain. It seems clear to me that it is squeaking as the seal passes back and forth over the stanchion. The stanchion on that bike is all but inaccessible because it is buried in the frame. I am sure it got super dusty and dry. I managed to get in there and put a tiny bit of TriFlow lube on the stanchion and the squeaking instantly stopped.

So many questions come to mind.

How important is it to keep the stanchion clean?

How am I going to do that when I can’t get my fingers inside the frame to access it?

Is there a lube that is safe to apply to it? Maybe WPL ForkBoost lube? Will that help?

****. That squeaking is like Chinese water torture. It borderline ruins a ride.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My Performance Elite DPX2 on my Druid is squeaking. Not a metallic squeak, but a rubber squeak. It squeaks super quickly as I am going over all but the smoothest terrain. It seems clear to me that it is squeaking as the seal passes back and forth over the stanchion. The stanchion on that bike is all but inaccessible because it is buried in the frame. I am sure it got super dusty and dry. I managed to get in there and put a tiny bit of TriFlow lube on the stanchion and the squeaking instantly stopped.

So many questions come to mind.

How important is it to keep the stanchion clean?

How am I going to do that when I can't get my fingers inside the frame to access it?

Is there a lube that is safe to apply to it? Maybe WPL ForkBoost lube? Will that help?

****. That squeaking is like Chinese water torture. It borderline ruins a ride.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kind of unrelated, but I think I'm getting the same kind of sound from my DVO Topaz while riding. Just like your DPX2, it makes a squeaking noise (kind of like a rubber duck) whenever the shock is cycled. It's there on all but the smoothest trails and its pretty annoying.

My Topaz was just freshly rebuild (full damper and air can rebuild), so I wonder if something went wrong during reassembly. I briefly spoke to DVO regarding the noise - they said that it's a difficult issue to troubleshoot without having the shock in front of them, but their first though would be air in the rebound circuit. The Topaz is on a Canfield Riot, so the shock is very accessible while riding. I can definitely see it leaving grease on the stanchion, so I don't think it's lubrication related. I'm assuming your DPX2 is on the Druid?

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of unrelated, but I think I'm getting the same kind of sound from my DVO Topaz while riding. Just like your DPX2, it makes a squeaking noise (kind of like a rubber duck) whenever the shock is cycled. It's there on all but the smoothest trails and its pretty annoying.

My Topaz was just freshly rebuild (full damper and air can rebuild), so I wonder if something went wrong during reassembly. I briefly spoke to DVO regarding the noise - they said that it's a difficult issue to troubleshoot without having the shock in front of them, but their first though would be air in the rebound circuit. The Topaz is on a Canfield Riot, so the shock is very accessible while riding. I can definitely see it leaving grease on the stanchion, so I don't think it's lubrication related. I'm assuming your DPX2 is on the Druid?
Yes - it's on the Druid.

My buddy did a super quick air can overhaul. Not sure what exactly he did, but the annoying noise is now gone. I have a few rides on it since and poof, just like magic - gone.

My God, does that bike rip. In the square edged hits at speed, it's like cheating. I only hope I don't wrap myself around a tree in all the adrenaline charged fun.

·
Coffee Drinker
402 Posts
I had two different DPX2s that 'squeak'. I think it is something in the internal valving. Both would squeak while in the trail (center) position. The squeak goes away when riding in the 'open' mode.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I don't know what kind of squeak you are referring to, but my DPX2 do a squeak with the Can unthreaded and moving just the Can up and down the body, even after I just added Fox blue fluid.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Squeak" is back. Dammit. It's like Chinese water torture out there listening to it. Man, the linkage on that bike is ACTIVE.

Anyway, if it doesn't get any worse, I am going to try to limp through the season and see if I can get it warrantied over winter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Squeak" is back. Dammit. It's like Chinese water torture out there listening to it. Man, the linkage on that bike is ACTIVE.

Anyway, if it doesn't get any worse, I am going to try to limp through the season and see if I can get it warrantied over winter.
Hey I know this is old but is there any chance you got this figured out? I have a DPX2 from roughly 2019 and I believe it's doing the same thing. I thought it was the bb or the linkage but it has a distinct rubber squeaking sound and the only place I can picture that happening are the seals on the shock. I might be wrong but it's worth a shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts