Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it into my lbs and they thought maybe it was my crank. Tightened it up and away I went... Got to a hill and then bam! SQUEAK, SQUEAK...

For the life of me I cannot find where it's coming from and I'm sure you guys know how god damn annoying a squeak can get...

Might not be related but I've noticed that the cassette sort of wobbles in a circular motion (from it's center) I'd do a hand gesture to demonstrate but... Yeah, hope that makes sense?

It's a strange sort of squeak, It's quite loud. It sounds as though it's coming from the drive train.
I thought at first it was the BB or the cranks, but now I'm thinking it's something at the back... Maybe the hub or the cassette?? I have no idea...

Any suggestions? Could it be water related? It got a little wet a few days after I brought it home... that's the only thing I can think it could be (if it's something I've done)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Guess

Water in the botom Braket....take it out and check Race face BB aint the best ...is that the FSA gama drive mega exo ....if so its cheap an cheerfull stuff.

The front deraulier could be rubbing my new Prophet came with lose screws in the deraulier.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
A few thoughts. Rear quick release, tight enough? Sounds goofy, but check it anyway. I was shamed by the simplicity of it once, just once=:) Tightness of the pivot bolt? seat post clamp, and QR? Bolts holding your Lefty in the clamps? Is there grease in the seat tube? Good starting points.

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tricky...

Messed around with the QR, plenty tight!
Haven't checked the pivot bolt... (Not sure if I have the tools!) but will check that out later
Lots of grease in the seat post. It's an I-beams so don't think it could be rail related... took the seat clamp off and cleaned that out abit (bit of gunk in there) took it out for a wee ride this afternoon and it's still there... definitely only when the chains under pressure though.
i'll back pedal and there won't be a sound...

The BB is a FSA megaExo, hollow... Only thing I was thinking was the small hole just above the BB, maybe some water had got in there...

I don't have any lube yet and would like to give it some greasing up, is there something I can use in the short term? (Car oil? Canola Oil? Castor oil? - the cooking variety)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
ar1981 said:
Tricky...

Messed around with the QR, plenty tight!
Haven't checked the pivot bolt... (Not sure if I have the tools!) but will check that out later
Lots of grease in the seat post. It's an I-beams so don't think it could be rail related... took the seat clamp off and cleaned that out abit (bit of gunk in there) took it out for a wee ride this afternoon and it's still there... definitely only when the chains under pressure though.
i'll back pedal and there won't be a sound...

The BB is a FSA megaExo, hollow... Only thing I was thinking was the small hole just above the BB, maybe some water had got in there...

I don't have any lube yet and would like to give it some greasing up, is there something I can use in the short term? (Car oil? Canola Oil? Castor oil? - the cooking variety)
Did the shop check to make sure your BB is tight? I would avoid all of the afore mentioned oils, you'll just make a mess for yourself, and not have it work all that well in the meantime. Is it a creak, squeak, drawn out sort of noise, or is it a distinct quick, click?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
More tests needed.

Is the rear hub adjusted properly?

When on the bike, take your feet off the pedals while coasting, and bounce up and down on the saddle. Noise, or no noise?

What about the cassette lockring? is it lubed, and tight? is the cassette body clean between teh freehub and the body?

Just trying to point out the MANY possible areas

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from an hour ride and during the ride I was thinking it could be coming from the Shimano PD-M520 pedals. Did a quick search and found a review saying they can squeak if you don't oil them every ride... So, I oiled them up, took it for a quick ride and it's still squeaking...

Just for the sake of it, I thought I'd take the rear disc unit off and guess what? It's not squeaking anymore... I was thinking it sounded like a metal on metal squeak.

The thing is, I've looked at the actual disc and it's true, nothing wrong with it. And the fact it's not a constant sound... That it only comes on under strong presure... That makes me think somethings wrong with the hub maybe? that it's bending under pressure and making the disc squeak against the disc unit?

Could that be it?

As far the front hub... Yep! solved that squeak, I did a search on here and found the Squeaky O-Ring seal, gave that some oil and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere

Start by removing grabbing the wheel and pushing side to side on the rim. any play? If so, have the hub adjusted.

Check the rotor bolts.

the caliper/pads may also be slightly out of alignment, but start at the hub.

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Damion,
There's no play in the wheel, seems pretty normal.
Rotor bolts are nice and tight... I went on the shimano site and just had a look at the user manual for my brakes... I ended up taking them off and just pushing the pads back a bit.
I thought maybe somehow they had accidently been activated while the wheel was off.
Put it back on and it was sweet... but I hit the brakes hard on a big hill and it's back...

But you know, I'm happy! Because at least now I know where the hell the noise is coming from... Cheers everyone

I'll have a play with the brake adjustments, pads, etc and if I can't sort it, just take it into the LBS... at least I can tell them where to start

·
Registered
448 Posts
Didnt want to start another thread but I found that the seatpost/tube is squeaking a lot on my carbon rush. I am sure its the seat post because I can stand and pedal and there isnt any creaking, but when I squeeze the seat between my legs and wobble it its starts squeaking. Then I tried wobbling the handlebars as I was riding and with other hand I could reach down and grab the seat tube and feel the seatpost inside the tube moving slightly causing the creaking. Any suggestions on eliminating the creak? Will some petroleum jelly work? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
jdp526 said:
Didnt want to start another thread but I found that the seatpost/tube is squeaking a lot on my carbon rush. I am sure its the seat post because I can stand and pedal and there isnt any creaking, but when I squeeze the seat between my legs and wobble it its starts squeaking. Then I tried wobbling the handlebars as I was riding and with other hand I could reach down and grab the seat tube and feel the seatpost inside the tube moving slightly causing the creaking. Any suggestions on eliminating the creak? Will some petroleum jelly work? Thanks,
is it a carbon seatpost?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
jdp526 said:
There is this red (i think) carbon assmbly paste. I cant remember what it's called. (some help me here) It helps grip carbon parts, but it also keeps them from squeaking too. It's like $7 for a small tube, and you dont need much. Maybe that will help you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dunc, I have a Thomson alum seat post. I will try some vasoline and right it shortly until I can find the red paste ziscwg is talking about.

I have an alum rush and dont have any creaks unless the bb gets dirty and usually a good washing will take care of the noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.