Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my friend just got an old NRS (2001) with a SID XC rear shock. Its the model with rebound, and from there I'm not completely sure what model it is.

The shock seems to work well as of right now. It is holding air, seems to be holding up the back end pretty well when set to a bit under 20% sag. The only thing that slightly worries me is it squeaks when it compresses/rebounds. It sounds kind of like a zipper, or like dragging a finger nail over something like a guitar string. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance, but it is rather loud and potentially annoying.

My question: Is this somewhat normal? I've never heard an air shock do this, so I'm figuring something may be wrong. Also, Any ideas on what may be causing it?

Also, slightly unrelated, does anyone have any ideas for settings? It a dual air model with pos/neg air, and I'm not sure what needs to be put in the negative air, or what exactly that adjusts. As of right now there is 0psi in there, so perhaps that could be contributing to the noise problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to offer.

Peace,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IAmtnbikr said:
Have heard some do that. Probably not nice, but they also seemed to work. Start with 50 in the negative and then inflate the positive to where you have no sag when seated on the bike. If it takes a dump I have a brand new takeoff Float R from my '05 NRS C1 frame I'll sell.
Thanks. I'll have him try those settings and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NWfreeride said:
More than likely your negative chamber bit the dust. Check it's pressure.
It's at zero right now, but it does hold pressure. We weren't sure what pressure to have that set at, so we just put in positive air (I know how that works fine)

I'll play around with the air settings a little and see what I come up with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.