Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a crappy Suntour XC right now but i have zero money to get anything else at the moment. it has started squaking pretty loudly whenever it moves. What are some ideas to stop it besides buying a different fork?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Squeaking usually indicates one....

of two things with anything mechanical. 1. Something is cracked, broken, or about to break. or 2. A lack of proper lubrication! In either case a complete tear down, cleaning, inspection (repair if needed) and proper re-lubrication of the fork is called for.

You don't say how old the fork is, how it has been used/ridden. whether you ride in all conditions (wet, dry, dusty, sandy) or how or where the bike is stored when not in use. Nor where on or in the fork you think it is squeaking. Have you inspected the frame for cracks at the head tube, is the headset tight (have you checked it?), what about the front wheel? It may not be the fork at all, but something else at the front of the bike.

The bottom line is, it could be something other than the fork. Or if you are certain that it is the fork, it could be anything from a cracked steerer tube, crown or stanchion to a simple lack of lubrication. Without a tear down and is spection it's almost impossible to say what you need to do to get it to quit. :confused:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fork is almost brand new, came new on my bike that i got in December. I've ridden mainly all xc single track stuff. Small drops here and there but nothing major at all. Its deff coming from the fork. I would guess its from lubrication cause the posts feel pretty dry, is there something i can apply to them?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay, sounds like the the wiper and or....

seals are probably dry. Try this, get a small bottle of Triflow or similar lube (DO NOT use lite machine oil or sewing machine oil). There are some stanchion specific lubes out there that will work well also. But Triflow will work fine. Put 3 to 4 drops on each wiper (the rubber dingus where the stanchions enter the lower legs. Work the lube in by compressing the fork several times by hand. Now go ride and see if that solves the problem. If so then you are deffinately in need of a good cleaning and lube. Track down an owners manual for your fork, if available, and see what needs to be done. While it is a low quality fork it shouldn't be squeaking.

Anyway give the light lube at the wipers a try first and see what that does for you. That's all that may be wrong. Dry wipers or seals will squeak if they are tight enough. If it returns in a short period of time, have the fork serviced. It may be some thing more serious.

Good Dirt

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Sounds like a warranty item to me.

nohook__90 said:
the fork is almost brand new, came new on my bike that i got in December. I've ridden mainly all xc single track stuff. Small drops here and there but nothing major at all. Its deff coming from the fork. I would guess its from lubrication cause the posts feel pretty dry, is there something i can apply to them?
If you just got the bike, take it back to the LBS and tell them of the issue. They should fix it for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.