Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be up in Tahoe in 2 weeks with the wife. I'm looking for some generally long non technical trails for her, she recently recovered from a broken collar bone and still does not have her confidence back up.

Thanks for any suggestions!:

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,097 Posts
Paige Meadows (from Tahoe City) is another easy ride in the area, especially if you go in and out via Rawhide Rd. The ride down from Paige Meadows to Tahoe City via the Tahoe Rim trail is a little more tech (mostly via rocks and some easy switchbacks, not exposure) if she wants to push herself a little. You can also connect from there to Alpine Meadows and ride back to TC on the paved path.

I have heard Sawtooth Ridge Trail (closer to Truckee and Emigrant) is another trail on the mellow side.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What sort of distance when you say 'long', how much climbing is ok, and will you be near the north or south part of the lake? Both Emigrant and Sawtooth are near Truckee, north of Tahoe.
Emigrant isn't very technical, though there is some rolly climbing. In the summer it's best during the early morning or evening. Sawtooth doesn't have much overall elevation gain but it does have a rocky start - not really technical, but a bunch of small rocks. There are ways around that part - for example you can ride up the FS road to the upper crossing of the trail where it's smoother.

·
go fast, pull up
57 Posts
Go to the tahoe cross country center http://www.tahoexc.org/
You can park in their lot. There is a fireroad that will take you from there right into Antione Meadows. There is a very nice singletrack loop around the meadow. This ride gives you more of the Tahoe meadow scenery than you'll get on Emigrant this time of year. If you're interested I can give you better directions for a good loop in there or just stop by and talk to the guys at Olympic Bike Shop in Tahoe City and they have maps too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually staying in Squaw Valley. Looking for trails in the 15 to 30 mile range. Climbing isn't a problem, the tech riding is what has her hesitant. Would like to start off very basic, some simple single track or even fire roads (scenery would be a plus ) and progress to more difficult trails if and when she gets confidence back up.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, looks like Antione Meadows or Emigrant would be a good start.

·
go fast, pull up
57 Posts
options from Squaw

If you're staying in Squaw Valley then a great ride would be to do a long cruise on the bike path into Tahoe City and keep going to the Tahoe Nordic Center. Do a loop around Antoine Meadows and then you could go up the waterbar trail to the fiberboard freeway. From there you've got a mellow 2 mile climb up to the TRT. Turn left and climb another mile up to Painted Rock. Go down the other side to the fireroad and turn right, go down the wall and connect to Western States Trail. This will drop you back onto the bike path very close to the entrance of Squaw and home. From where you hit the TRT if you turned right you could add some fun miles on as well. All of these trails are very fun and swoopy without being too technical and you still get a good amount of climbing in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Well, my wife only got in one ride before see decided to just relax at the resort. I think the altitude got to her a little as we live just about at sea level. Her loss was my gain, as I got in some great rides around the Squaw area. I got in a couple good rides in Antoine Meadows and above each in the 30+ mile range (Tahorider's rec), Emigrant trail (Wherewolf), and on the shorter side Sawtooth Ridge (fgiraffe). Couldn't get enough of coming down Western States trail :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.