Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am fixing up an old Trek 4900 beater that I inherited from a friend. I am using a square taper BB (113 mm spindle) and am wondering about cranks to look for/avoid.

I am currently using the bike mainly for commuting and trails that are beginner/int and not too outrageous. I am a brute (220 lbs). I want cranks that aren't crap but I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
+2 Those lx cranks are lighter and stiffer than a square taper setup. On the other hand, a used square taper deore or lx crankset off ebay will be cheaper and will shift as well. Plus, you won't have to buy another bb tool. Just depends on your budget.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
that's a great price on the LX cranks. Deore is pretty much the same thing too, and can be found cheaper.

these sugino cranks look like they'd fit what you're looking for. It may be difficult to find cranks to fit just a 113 spindle length, since different cranks may require different spindle lengths.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.