Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not 29er content, but several people on this forum run Middleburns. So who else makes square taper bottom brackets other than FSA and Phil Wood? I am looking at Middleburn Cranks, and want to know my options.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Cheap, infinitely durable and moderately heavy: Shimano.
Expensive, possibly less durable and very light: Action-Tec.
Expensive, durable and light: Phil.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
El Caballo said:
Uh...Shimano?

UN72/UN73 have always been good to me. Everything since then has cost more and broken more quickly.
Are they still in production? I did not see them on Shimano's website. I saw a UN25 and a UN26.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
QBP, J&B Importers

Most distributors that your local bike shop deals with can get most any UN series BB's except the highest end XTR ones, which are pretty hard to come by.

I just purchased a UN-73 73mm shell width, 110mm spindle BB just last week that was ordered through QBP.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Shimano made millions of the UN-7x BBs, losts of distributors still have thousands of them in stock.

Real made some nice BB's, hollow heat-treated CrMo or Ti spindles, cartridge bearings, and lipless splined cups (shimano BB tool). Could run 68 or 73mm shell widths. They made them in 103, 107, 110, 113, 115, 117.5, 122.5 and 127.5mm lengths. I've got about a dozen left in different sizes myself. Great things for building bikes with.

Syncros made amazing Ti BBs with the classic pin tool cups and double adjustable lockrings style setup, again cartridge bearings, and the spindles were Ti 6-2-4-6 alloy I recall (check the bikepro guidebook if you wanna be sure) which was if I remember right was slightly stronger and would stretch a bit further before breaking than the more commonly used Ti 6-4.

Raceface of course had CrMo and Ti axle BBs as mentioned. Action Tec, White Industries, Litespeed, GT, TNT, Ultimate Machine, Paragon Machine Works, and the list just goes on and on. Then there's more recent asian brands like Neco who make some excellent shimano style cartridge square-taper BBs with aluminium cups both sides that compare in weight to shimano UN7x series BBs, but at 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Action tec is closed till mid FEB. I got a Sinz carbon/ti BB from AEbike.com . They have a wide selection of sizes and its nice and light too.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
DeeEight said:
Shimano made millions of the UN-7x BBs, losts of distributors still have thousands of them in stock.
So ... is that confirmation that one of the best values in the history of bicycling is discontinued? :???: If so, I'd better stock up.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
speedgoat.com.....

scbiker said:
I don't have any experience with them yet, but I'm planning to give SKF a try next BB I need. (hopefully I can easily find them at that time).
has the isis version but I'd like to know who carries the square taper version of the SKF?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
GlowBoy said:
So ... is that confirmation that one of the best values in the history of bicycling is discontinued? :???: If so, I'd better stock up.
check the shimano website, UN-7x is still the code for XT stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.